Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find! '40 Dodge

Re: Barn Find! '40 Dodge

I saw this on another forum someplace and was blown away by it. When I was 14 my dad came home with a similar car only it was a '40 Plymouth. It was the car I learned to drive in. I loved that car, knocking rods and all. I was in charge of checking the oil each afternoon when my dad got home. There were many times when I put 4 quarts of Sears reconstituted motor oil (from glass bottles) into that old Plymouth. I am sure I cried when my dad traded it in on a '57 Dodge station wagon.

Comment

Wonderful post. I'll see if my old friend Phil Harris has any pics we can post of his '48 Packard survivor - it's equally amazing. Phil is in Milford, Michigan (still) last I spoke with him, but we've all gotten old due to good luck and, in Phil's case, clean living. I haven't spoken with him in a couple of years but tracked him down a while back to get some info on the GM "whistler" device to determine CR and displacement in intact engines. He and I may be the last two folks to have actually used one.

Dan

Comment

Actually, Dan, our local dirt track uses a Whistler gauge to check CR.

A very cool story on the '40, indeed. That thing is a time machine -- I'd love to smell the interior smell that they mention. Anybody else here appreciate that somewhat musty "old car" interior smell? Not when it's overpowering, of course, but just enough to let me know that I'm in a hunk of old iron.

A couple of years ago, my dad and me got a tour of a local guy's multi-barn collection out in the boonies. Everything from pre-war Fords and a restored 1929 LaSalle Phaeton (which we got a ride in) to a '70 Boss. None of it as pristine as this '40 here, but it was one of those car-guy experiences that we will never, ever forget.

Comment

that's way cool
          i think 41 is on of my fav dodges {grandpa had one} but that is way cool
          cool note take those 6 volt horns and hook them up to 12 volt[my winter truck } they are load and sound like a freight train {mine are off a 49 caddy} keep the coolness coming

Comment

WOW
            very VERY cool that it has survived so long just as it was built.
            Totally excellent.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

This is a great story and awesome find!! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how the woodgrain pattern was painted onto the dash and doors? Was it by hand? It looks really authentic.
              President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

I think they were silkscreened.

Comment

friend had a 46 dodge coupe with the wood grain dash
                  he found a old guy that used to do it at the factory to redo his buit the guy would not let us watch cool old guy

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                    I think they were silkscreened.
                    Thanks, Dave. I need to brush up on my knowledge of the silkscreening process. That car looks beautiful!
                    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Working...
                    X