Re: Craigslist Pick of the Week: Street-Legal Funny Car

Drag Week!

Comment

good call

Comment

"TOP 50 WIDEST STREET CARS EVER BUILT BY HOT ROD MAGAZINE "

Doesn't look very wide to me.... I think I'd copy check my ad for a $17k car....

Neat car, should be fun to put around town in. Probably a bitch to get out of the car to go into 7-11 though.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
          good call
          I better forget it, it doesn't have wipers!

Comment

Dude, I'd drive it...just need to maybe add a heater for the great Nebraska winters, a wiper, and anybody got a spare set of some BFG 33x12.50's for out back for fun in the snow?
            Andrew
            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

One wide-open shot on I-5, pleease...*drools*
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

that car was steve groups car from springfield ohio.used to see it on sunday afternoons at john bryan state park in yellow springs.we all used to go there on sunday and cruise the park,wax the cars ,pull off,open the headers and cruise some more.that was around 1969 to 1973,when the ohio state highway patrol put an end to it.steve had some pretty wild cars back then.i also remember he had a white,on the ground.65 buick riviera,with big block,and i think it may have been chopped too.i am sure barry lobeck remembers this guy.

Comment

Vert, first off thanks for joining up, we're glad to have you here!

Secondly, thanks for the "story behind the story" on this car. Yet another example of the great group of gear heads we have here.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by 457Brodix
                    Originally posted by Freiburger
                    good call
                    I better forget it, it doesn't have wipers!
                    That's the beauty of Rain-X!

Just the looks on the faces of whomever you pull up next to at an intersection.....especially the kids with the boomboxes on wheels.

My oldest son's 12" subs wouldn't stand a chance.... ;D

Comment

That is so wrong it is right......I would drive the wheels off of it.

Very Cool 8)

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I have a friend that has been talking about building a street legal Vega funny car. The poor guy really need it. He now owns a really nice chopped 34 Vicky complete with quick change rearend. A 41 Willy's with 392 Chrysler, blown 871 with hilborn electronic 4 port , A 41 Willy's with an 502 big block with an 871. A really cool retro 32 hi boy and a cherry 68 Camero.
                        Makes you sick don't it

Comment

I've been following this car(s) from afar fo 30 years.
                          Was once featued as "Little Stevie's Wonder"By Gray Baskerville,Hot Rod Magazine, November 1978.
                          In this article, it was a street legal '23 T bodied fuel altered, the body of which can be seen in the ad in The background.Steve Group designed the car as a "tranformer" of sorts with the Opel GT funny car body, so he could blow minds at Street rod and street machine events in the 70's. What isn't obvious in the ad is the fact that the car was designed as a close coupled, side-by-side 2 seater.I spoke with a previous custodian a few years ago who said the cage was updated to meet current rules, and the owner elected to configure it as just a single seater, thereby destroying (in my opinion) the car's one true unique quality.This car was impeccably constructed,with polished aluminum spoilers, wheel pants on front, braided hose every where, and the centerpiece- a real deal blown 392 hemi. It was chosen as a Hot Rod top ten car in '78 or '79. I think it should be returned to it's original state, and be seen again. I just wish I could be the guy to do it, but not this time. I've watched it trade hands all over the midwest, and this is the lowest asking price yet. Hopefully The next custodian will do right by Mr. Group.

Comment

Thanks for posting the info!

Thanks also for joining us, Steve!

Comment

Hi Dave,
                              Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and happy birthday to James. I hope I don't break any rules here, 'cuz I'm just a forum rookie, however, I have been watching your circus you call life through these mediums as a spectator for some time. Hope you and Chad find a niche that generates a steady income-ya can't keep a good man down!
                              Regards,
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X