Barnstormin': Cheaper Than Yours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': Cheaper Than Yours!

Brian that's a great article.Cheap cars give us our best times.
    terry

Comment

Brian: it made me smile reading about your youthful initiative in recycling scrap stock car tires for 1320 service -- not least because it was a tactic a friend and I resorted to in our desperation to get big rubber out back circa 1978.

Surprisingly, it didn't work too badly. Not so sure about our attempts to achieve the altered wheelbase effect by moving the rear axle forward. We'd seen it in pictures and thought "Why not?"

In any case, it ran mid-13s with a 327 and was loads of fun for not much cash (altho everything we could spare at the time).
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Sprites are neat. Was it a bug eye?

I got to drive one (bug eye) several years ago in at an SCCA event. I think it was an H-Production car. The little thing was working like 14 mo-fos (as Keith would say) at all times. Definite proof that sometimes the fun factor is not directly proportional to the speed factor. I was able to physically count blades of grass next to the straight on the way by, but it was a car that felt more "racey" than just about anything else.

Joe, let's see the list of what you've owned and fooled around with because it's becoming more and more eclectic, and I LOVE it!

The Sprite
        The Kadett
        The Studes

what else?

Brian
        No it wasn't a Bug Eye, unfortunately. It was a later model.

Well, I guess eclectic is the word for it. Besides the above there was an Elva Courier, a TR-3, a bunch of VW's (including a '58 multi window Bus and a '67 camper and a few bugs and a Fox.), '61 Ford Falcon, a 1970 Chevy Blazer, the required vans once the kids came along, a Volvo 240 wagon (very used when I got it. Originally from Jamaica, thus it was not a surprise when one morning I walked out and found the tranny and rear of the engine on the ground when the rusted frame gave up the ghost.). Somewhere in there was a Toyota Pickup, a Saab 96 and a 95 (both V-4's), a Fiat 850 sedan, a Honda Civic wagon. Most of the stuff was fun, except for the Ford Vans (three of them) which were just necessary tools of life at the time. There was probably some stuff I can't remember somewhere in the mix.

Comment

Working...
        X