Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Defiant Ones, Part 4: Smokey at Indy

Re: The Defiant Ones, Part 4: Smokey at Indy

Yeah, I know.....The really neat stuff is down in the basement.

SJ was half-tempted to push the "B" button in the elevator as wel went from the second level back to the main floor.

I would've agreed, but the whole going-to-jail-on-a-Saturday-and-being-barred-from-the-premises thing just didn't seem worth it.

Gonna have to get that damn book soon......even if it's the paperback version and not the coffee-table series.

Comment

Brian, that was an excellent series. I would love it if you could dig up more stories like that. Or, perhaps, some of our own guys on the forum might have such similar stories to regale us with.

Comment

Yes, indeed an excellent series. It has always amazed me how many of the early stock car guys seemed to feel that no matter how successful they were at their craft in stock car racing, the Indy 500 was a goal that they longed for. Almost a a self fulfilling prophesy of inferiority. In the book I have mention on this forum before, [i]Driving with the Devil[i] by Neal Thompson it seems like even in the early days of the '30's and '40's many of the well known southern stock car drivers longed to be successful at Indy. The likes of Red Voight, Roy Hall, Red Byron and Raymond Parks all worked toward that goal and were very disappointed when victory, or even qualification, at the 500 slipped away.

Of course winning the NASCAR Brickyard race today, doesn't seem to equate with winning the Indianapolis 500 either, though some of the drivers seem to think it does.

Comment

INDY was the big deal back then
          do they even race there in may anymore ?

Comment

uh, YEAH.

There's a very heavy representation of the foreign contingent, not so much on the homegrown side unfortunately.

Sure, you get the usual line from the stock-car guys.."No, no, no interest in running at Indy...".....bullshit.

Guys like Smokey Yunick are a rare breed....one that I can only aspire to be.

Comment

One of the things that Ive always admired about the man is he stressed not being shackled by "what is known to be correct". Meaning, dont assume or believe everything you hear or know is correct. Untill you prove it to yourself, then always question it.

How many of us have heard "you cant do that" and it drives us to prove that person wrong? Its got to be one of the more satisfying (sp?) things you can do.

Thank you for the series, but I think you need to keep it up! We all love the stories.... Thanks again!

Chris 8)

Comment

simply stated....Thank you Brian.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

SJ was half-tempted to push the "B" button in the elevator as wel went from the second level back to the main floor.

I would've agreed, but the whole going-to-jail-on-a-Saturday-and-being-barred-from-the-premises thing just didn't seem worth it.

Gonna have to get that damn book soon......even if it's the paperback version and not the coffee-table series.

Working on that tour, I think I got the hook up today! Its cool working on Gasoline Alley and knowing someone that knows someone

Comment

Wow. Getting a modification banned can be a cool enough thing to pull off, but getting stock parts banned is truly impressive.

Comment

wicked cool

role models and heros, the lot of them.

Nicely done Brian.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sounds like one of the baddest SBC's ever built. Damn, I gotta get my hands on Smokey's books!

Great series. I really enjoyed each piece. ;D

Comment

Finally got caught up on all the defiant one to date. Really great stuff . I love all the history . The artical on the tempest was probably my favorite . I love cars that corner!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedJunkee
                            Originally posted by tiresmoke!

Working on that tour, I think I got the hook up today! Its cool working on Gasoline Alley and knowing someone that knows someone
                            Lemme know when, we'll damn sure get there.

Comment

Modified stock block motors. In the early years of Indy, wasn't this what it was all about?

Comment

Working...
                              X