GM is Auctioning Vehicles Out of Its Heritage Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM is Auctioning Vehicles Out of Its Heritage Center

I thought they had a couple of Caprice wagons done up as "Corvette"s with the IRS and the Crossfire injections in 82-83 time...I keep finding the one '83 C4.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

DF, I figured the Hot Rod Solstice went to the shredder after that exercise was completed.
      Sure, as far as you know...

Comment

Hey, I built some of those cars. Wish I had enough money to buy some of them.

The HRM Solstice is live and well. It still get's used now and again. It is as fast as it ever was, and just as much fun to drive.

Comment

The turbo sprint might be kinda cool if its the low miles red convertible with the flamed hood, not that it had much dollar value. They took a stock turbo sprint years ago and striped/flamed it, lettered the drivers door with "Elvis" as Moss was called sometimes by insiders. They then put some big (for the size of the car) rims and tires and had John drive it at a couple shows as a joke. John took it well, and joked the car had no power (3cyl turbo, go figure) but drove well.
          Fast forward to a few months before John retired and the car was found in storage and shipped to the back building at W2W so we could formulate the "plan". My boss wanted the power level upped to "over the top Moss style", so we installed Strange front wheel drive conversion struts up front and a narrowed F-car posi was narrowed with some ET street tires on back and skinnies up front. For power we chose a 350 V8 with two four's on top of a 671 sized blower and coupled that to a turbo 350 with a 3500 stall. After fitting the engine in the car, we realized the rad would not fit inside the core support, so the core support was cut out on the top and the radiator connected the right and left together. We then needed to bolt the grill to the radiator since the core support was in the dumpster.
          We presented this car to John at St Ignas show in northern Michigan, his smile was impressive and he drove the car around all day. Not sure if I will ever forget the "test drive" on the side of the shop in that car. I think the engine only had about 450hp on the engine dyno, but the car did not weight much so it was scary fast (think convertible go-cart with no seatbelts), it would squeal the tires in first and second while pulling pretty hard, and stopped poorly!

The 572 Camaro and the 98 "drag" Camaro will run 9's on any decent track just the way they are. The 572 has the clutchless trans in it right now with a fairly new new slider clutch and the drag Camaro has a 427 LS based engine with a Bruno/G-force combo. I have multiple times made 20 passes in one day in both cars at the days called "Toy Tests", it was a tough job!!

Kurt

Comment

2001 Silverado Intimidator SS so cool to bad they didnt make them like this

Comment

nice story 427
              back in the day -when there was money to burn

Comment

Anybody know if they're offering the employee discount on these?

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                  Originally posted by tiresmoke!

DF, I figured the Hot Rod Solstice went to the shredder after that exercise was completed.
                  Sure, as far as you know...
                  well, by the book, there's no way in hell they'd get it EPA approved, so that throws that idea out the window.

I DO hope it's still around....I'll bet that thing was a HOOT!

Comment

Thanks for the stories, Kurt!

Comment

Kurt......I envy you more each day.... ;D

Good Stuff....

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Wonder if Kurt realized when he was doing these things that they mirrored times of yore that books have been written about???

Comment

We all loved building those cars, running them down the track was just icing on the cake! Lots of memories for sale on that GM page.......

Kurt

Comment

Im sure there are a lot of us that dont understand why GM sell out some hundred of its collection,but there seems to be 800 cars in the Heritage museum ;).

Comment

why didn't GM buy smokey yunick's best damn garage in town and make a museum out of it ?
                              when cj baker suggested the idea in 1989 , it made sense
                              now that its condos , gone and forgotten
                              so much for history

Comment

Working...
                              X