Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Guys You Should Know: AA/Dale Armstrong

Re: Gearhead Guys You Should Know: AA/Dale Armstrong

Quite the list of achievements. Sounds like he had quite a bit of fun pushing the envelope at that. Great write up.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I got to meet Dale at the keystones ,years back when he was still tuning Kenny. I won a radio contest and was sopposed to meet Kenny, but he was busy with sponsor deals so i had to wait in his pits . I was taking pics of Dale working on it and he came over and ask me if I got any good shots. We talked for awhile and he invited us back the next day.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Dave Wallace Jr.,
        "It was often said if this guy ever hooked up with some smart millionaire, our sport might never be the same".

Comment

ALL TRUE,

and a super-neat guy, too!

Armstrong's first mentor and sponsor, Ron Hammel of 10,000 RPM (whose homemade, high-h.p. engine dyno is likely the one referenced) told me just this month that his company was selling nitrous kits to drag racers in 1967. He STILL won't say whether Double-A Dale ever used the stuff.

Hammel's top-two "shop" cars in the mid-Sixties were probably Armstrong's steel, blown-alcohol Chevy II and Frank Pedregon's AA/Fuel Competition Coupe. No two drag racers ever accomplished more with less. Two nicer guys never existed.

Enjoyin' yer stuff, Brian,
          DAVE WALLACE

Comment

Working...
          X