Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A NASCAR Tucker?

Re: A NASCAR Tucker?

Interesting.I love this kind of history ;)

Comment

This is just too cool. Thanks for posting it. I could not get the links provided in the Hemmings blog, but the rest of the information there is really great. I would have loved to see a Tucker blasting around a dirt track. Too bad its racing history seemed to have been so short lived, but then the Tucker was short lived itself. Also to have lost this car in a fire. What a place in history it holds.

Comment

That is cool. back when racing was racing.
        terry

Comment

As cool as this is I wonder did this car really ever officially compete in NASCAR. If it did not complete a lap does it still count as having competed. Or is simply showing up and starting considered having competed? Just a thought, not a criticism.

Comment

If the guy buried the thing into the wall making practice laps or blew it up during same, I'd say so. It doesn't seem fitting of the era for a guy to show up just to show up, but who knows.

Joe, I'm with you that if the thing never turned a wheel in anger, it's not a legit claim.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I did some looking and came up with the following:

According to this not even one lap was made by the Tucker and it was not listed as a mechanical failure or a crash.

Joe Merola, the driver of the Tucker, did not do well in either of his NASCAR appearances in 1950. Finished out of the money both times

All this does not, in my opinion, negate the interesting fact that somebody actually had a Tucker set up to race. Also the link on the Hemmings blog to the Tucker site, somebody seemed to indicate that the car had raced on other dirt tracks. It would be interesting to know what the results of those endeavors were.

Comment

Tucker's were 6-cylinder jobbies right? I think I remember hearing something like they were slated to be powered by some type of helicopter engine or something?

Please educate me someone.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Tucker got a hold of a bunch of surplus property including opposed air cooled sixers that were originally designed to power whirly birds. Powerful and light weight for the times.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There was a movie made in the late 80's-early 90's about the Tucker. I remember watching it and it was well worth the time. It would probably be hard to track down a copy of the VHS now though.

Comment

Originally posted by chip
                      There was a movie made in the late 80's-early 90's about the Tucker. I remember watching it and it was well worth the time. It would probably be hard to track down a copy of the VHS now though.
                      It is occassionally aired on the History Channel, that's where I've seen it.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                      X