Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More '60s Airport Stretchers

Re: More '60s Airport Stretchers

What no windows tinted so dark that you can't see in or out of them? No hot tubs? ;) ;D Really though that is an interesting picture. I wonder if it was taken at an agency or possibly outside of the facility that manufactured them. I don't ever remember seeing a stretcher of that era in person.

Comment

Who made them?
      Was it Dodge, Dodge commissioning someone or was it the airport commissioning someone?

More like a bus than a limo. with a pair of doors for every (bench?) seat.

Comment

I remember seeing Checker airport limo's like that when I was a kid .You would see them all around Kennedy airport
        Did you guys ever notice in the footage of the Kennedy assasination you can see them putting his body in a Pontiac ambulance.I bet the same companies made both probably hearses too.

Comment

Witch one is Reb driving?
          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

It was my memory that hotels were the ones who purchased them for their guests, not airports. I wonder what the rates were on those rear springs. That's a lot of weight.

Nurse Rachets 68 Olds Ambulance weighed 8400 pounds stock. Imagine what those tanks weighed fully loaded. In 62, there weren't disc brakes even on the front of those wagons. I hope they upgraded to at least truck brakes. Not to mention, they must have a turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

Anyone else surprised there aren't any roof racks on any of those wagons?

On a limo insider note. Anyone wonder why every stretch limo made today has a vinyl top? It's so they don't have to get a huge piece of metal straight. They just hide it, which is why I'm shocked at the length of those roofs and they are very straight.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
              I remember seeing Checker airport limo's like that when I was a kid .You would see them all around Kennedy airport
              Did you guys ever notice in the footage of the Kennedy assasination you can see them putting his body in a Pontiac ambulance.I bet the same companies made both probably hearses too.
              Now that you mention that I remember that a guy my dad worked for had one of those. Dad borrowed it once to take some kids to summer camp (He was helping out with some kids that could not afford camp and the like.). He really hated driving that thing. Also I remember seeing an International Carryall in Wendover, Utah, a few years back that was stretched like that. We were trying to figure out how to get it back east and make it into a tow vehicle.

Comment

These cars were built and used as school buses for a private school in Hershey PA. Article about them here.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Thanks for joining us, too!

Comment

Yeah that is definitely the Milton Hershey School, I am a local and a auto parts delivery driver that goes there daily. A few months ago I noticed they had a late 60's Chevy wagon back by the garage, I assumed they found it on the property and were junking it, as they are doing alot of renovating. But maybe they are restoring it, if they were looking for one to display. It was VERY rough, rust had eaten up the rockers and bottom of the doors, and it looked like a tree had fallen on the rear of the roof. I will have to ask one of the guys if they know anything about it. I may even have a few cellphone pics of it, they are on my old phone if I can find it. I can remember seeing these still on the road through out the 70's as a kid.

Comment

Was the wagon you saw a regular one or a stretcher?

Comment

Wow! I had never heard of Armbruser/Stageway before,and I've been to Fort Smith many times. I have family in the area too. Very cool!

Comment

There are some of this cars over here too,and while browsing through some sites lookin for pics,i found this Russian Volga stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                            Was the wagon you saw a regular one or a stretcher?
                            8 door stretch, I'm thinking it was a 64 or 65.

Comment

That picture was taken at the Milton Hershey School in Hershey PA. The cars are 63 Chevy Biscayne wagons that were custom built for the school by stageway. (I went to the school and remember the wagons) This picture was taken next to Senior Hall. =)

The school is looking for one of the wagons for our next alumni gathering. If anyone knows where to find one please let me know.

Laura Goguet
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X