Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fryblogger: My Very First Magazine Credit

Re: Fryblogger: My Very First Magazine Credit

Thanks for sharing this bit of personal history with us. Progressing though our various careers is often full of such interesting bit and pieces.

By-the-way, that Jeep is really an intriguing vehicle.

Comment

jacobs must have had a 100 mpg carburetor somewhere

Comment

I'll never forget when I was just out of high school, at work I called on my break to get some info on a Jacobs coil and distributor and said I would get back if I decided to by it. Now they get all your info before they discuss anything so he had my home phone. About an hour after I spoke to the guy he calls my house and gave my Mom the shpeal (sp?) On why my car needed this and she should tell me to buy it. I though that was just kind of nuts.

Very cool photo buy the way, spectacular looking rig.
        sigpic

Comment

Heard of the Jacobs name, but that's about as far as that goes....felt myself cringing along with ya in that tale, DF.

That FC Jeep is just sweet.......wonder if it's still around?

I'll take one like it in Mossy Oak New Break-up, thanks.

Comment

I actually wasted money on the Jacobs computer thing for my old MG. The car ran and I had paid like $100 for it so I left it hooked up but don't really think it helped.
            Joe

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering whatever happened to Jacobs. Back in the day, I bought one of his POS systems, put it on the top-secret test Subaru, and the said Subaru immediately developed an off-idle stumble. The "tech" on the Jacob's "help-line" continued to suggest a faulty installation and faulty vehicle. After removing that junk and reinstalling the original ignition, the little Subie ran perfect again, just as before.

Fortunately, I did get my money back less a restocking fee, shipping and a few days aggravation.

Comment

We used to joke that they should have just packed the ignition boxes with sand and run the wires in and out. The performance would have been the same, but the returns would be much lower.

Comment

I remember my first magazine by-line..... It was pretty damn cool. Didn't make much on that gig, but I had a real good time with it....Don't get me started with aftermarket reliability... my aluminum radiator just sprung a leak....
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Dave, Do you ever miss the magazine business or is this close enough to the subject matter without all the B.S. that goes with that biz? I do miss your editorials in HR every month. Maybe you could lay a little preachin' on us at the first of every month.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I miss the paycheck!

Of course it can be hard sometimes. I put so much in the magazines that they were a big part of my sense of self. Also, now that I'm a nobody, it's hard not having the easy access that the mags lent. But I certainly do not miss any part of the corporate stress.

I'm freelancing for the mags again now, so the work is similar. (I managed to only singe the bridge when I left)

Comment

You get a different kind of paycheck now for your selfworth, every time Jimmy picks up a toy car and looks you in the eye. Same feeling I get from my 8yr. son Cam, money can't buy that. It's our job to raise the next generation of "junkyarder's" the right way.
                        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Hey Dave - I never could believe you managed to do all the things i saw associated with your name...I imagined you working about 24/7 maybe longer. I did that when I was younger. I maintained secure encrypted video conferencing facilities for the military and fortune 25 companies. The bosses kept tellin' me i was great and kept promoting me. more an more money. an mo an mo work too...lots'o travel for years. livin like a rock star at times. Fortunately for me ( I think??) my industry tanked. And now I have a respect for 'down time'. It makes your life better. more enjoyable. But I do miss that money. and it is hard to get by on 11/hr w/o benefits. Now I maintain the sewing machines for a company making buffing pads. and my boss loves me. and my work hours are better. I got 3 traffic lights 'tween me an the job. Do ya need any Buffing pads? We could sure use the business...Don't let changes in your lifestyle affect your head. There are allot of us out here who feel greatfull for being able to benefit from your writing, editorial and organizational skills. This ain't no sukcin'up either. I got nuthin' to gain for strokin' ya. I'm just tellin' truths'.
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                          X