Gearhead Destination: The Tail of the Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gearhead Destination: The Tail of the Dragon

Done the Tail 3 times and the whole Chahala Skyway onece, it is worth doing, but be careful. The Tennennesse police just love handing out tickets on the tail, plus the last time we were out someone on a motorcycle took out a Bronco, so it can be dangerous even if you are taken it easy.
    It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

I LOVE THE DRAGON!!!!! I road raced bikes for years, and lived in Atlanta so it was an easy ride up 129 to deals gap. I had to give up racing in 98 after a nasty crash at road A, that left me unable to walk for months. I still limp to this day, but wouldn't trade the race days for anything.

The dragon has seen many fatalities over the years, and sometimes several a year mostly from bikes either losing it and hitting trees, on coming cars, or each other. The logging trucks would also get guys south of the gap on 129 in blind corners where the trucks had to take up both lanes. You go boiling into the corner to find a logging truck heading straight for you.

Personally it's too tight for cars, but heaven for a bike. 129 south down to 19/60 is high speed paradise for cars and bikes. When we would go up we'd see 150+MPH over ad over all day long. that was one of the cool things about the place. You have 20 mph turns and 150 mph turns.

The real trick there is a dealer tag, slicks, or GP dot's and NEVER EVER STOP for the heat south of the gap. they love to crucify bikers who speed. If you're in the dragon there's no where to run so switch back if you can and ride by them slowly in the opposite direction. When you're past them get away fast and head off south to 180 you can get lost in the crowd there. Switching helmets and jackets with your friends keeps them confused too if they get after you.

Comment

The Dragon is great... There are quite a few roads in the NY/NJ/PA/CT/VT area that are just as much fun without the po-po and tourists/enthusiasts causing problems...

Comment

Working...
        X