X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Destination: The Tail of the Dragon

Re: Gearhead Destination: The Tail of the Dragon

Absolutley ;D
    Not far from us here ky, Somes friends of mine totalled thier bikes there.
    GSX R , R1. Back in the 90's Trust me, worth the trip. The law isn't there much throughout the week.
    Speeds on bikes easily approaching 100, but remeber i just said 2 of my friends totalled thier bikes.
    Not to mention backs, legs,arms,one shattered helmet, one busted knee. Both walked away (read limped)
    We were able to throw the remains into a passing truck that stopped to help. No law involved. Jerm had a mini vhs strapped to the back, we got to watch the wreck just before he went down. Dwane came in to fast without and brakes in a curve a little over half way on the second day.By the time he applied some the front walked out from under him taking out the back wheel of jerms. Aprox. 80mph.

HELMETS SAVE LIVES !!!! AMEN.
    You could have fun in a miata on that stretch.
    CHris

Comment

Looking at the videos,and honestly.It looks alot like the main roads around here,and those are not loved by the truckers,but the bikers love em.Corners rock ;).

Comment

I went up it in a mini van thefront bumper hit the rear bumper 3 times , 2 car sick kids. Good ride for a bike not good for a van.
        terry

Comment

Hwy 178 is right near there and it is just as Hell Driven. Did them both and what a ride. THe Wife was looking Green after going over and Back.

Comment

I went up there a couple of times with the LS1-GTO crowd, in the fall of '07 and '08. After a couple of runs my arms were tired. One of the (Harley) bikers asked us to throttle back and not to be "so loud" when we pulled out. WFT?! Other good roads in the area are NC-28 (HellBender28) and the Charahola Skyway (AKA; the Snake). Looking forward to our next run. There's a sub-set of folks from the Power Tour that are planning to hit it after the Bristol stop. Can't wait to try it in an "old car".
            Non-denominational car nut.
            Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
            Do you go all the way?

Comment

Kinda reminds me of Maui. I still need to post pics of the 5 car pile up at the bottom of a 150 foot drop I saw in Maui...

Comment

You need to tow the Javelin down that road on it's cross-country voyage.

Comment

I want to do the Dragon maybe this Summer on vacation? It sure sounds like fun,and I've heard about it for years.

U.S. 176 coming out of South Carolina into North Carolina is pretty spectacular also.

Comment

I made Logan throw up in the back seat when we drove on the Tail of the Dragon. Sarah was pissed. ;D

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I live right up the road in Lenoir City. I haven't gone for fear of getting hooked. A friend of mine used to go almost every weekend on his bike. He laid it down at over 100. This is one of his favorite sites for cool pics and vids of the dragon. This guys sets up his camera and sells you your pics: http://killboy.blogspot.com/

Kevin

Comment

Good news for Seth and the other Michigan guys. There's a mini-Tail which is the back road into Hell - if you look on a Google earth pic you should be able to find it. A buddy took me thru it in his new-style Mini a couple of years ago and it's a great ride. Go take a peek - you'll like it. At the Hell end you can replace your lunch at the Dam Site Inn.

Dan

Comment

Sweet....I will have to look it up.

Thanks Dan.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

If you decide to go waaaaay down south, try Copper Canyon, Mexico.

We lost count at 900ish (didn't count the small curves) in the 80-90 mile trip from Creel to Batopilas in the bottom of the canyon... & half of that is DIRT. ;D

Comment

I did it once in a car. I told the wife we should take the bike because I would go a lot slower, but she didn't believe me. She didn't say a word for 22 miles. Yeah, I turned around and did it again.
                              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X