• Show
Clear All

• 2009 Engine Masters Challenge Rules Announced

Re: 2009 Engine Masters Challenge Rules Announced

300 ci inch sbc with a tunnel ram and 2 holleys will be champeen
    just like in comp -c/altered motor

Comment

The rules changes this year are huge, solid roller cams, 3000-7000 RPM, non-OEM bore-stroke ratios, EFI and if I read it correctly three valve Ford Modular, LSx's, and modern Mopar Hemi's all are in.

I'll bet the same guys are at the top again. I don't see how a Gen 1 23 degree small block can stay with an LS7 derived small block and it will be interesting to see if the LS's knock off the CHI headed Fords.

My pick for the win is a Kasse Boss 429 based entry at about 466 cubic inches.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I'd pick an EFI'ed LSx engine.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill

My pick for the win is a Kasse Boss 429 based entry at about 466 cubic inches.
          ok Bill... i got a six pack of coronas says BES wins it this year..
          IMO the F.I. will be huge this year, and it will come down to a tuners war. and unless J K brings in a hired gun, he Kaase dont tune many F.I prostock mountain motors. should be fun to watch..
          D
          Dustin, in Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            I'd pick an EFI'ed LSx engine.
            x2

Comment

Gene Adams and Dan Miller tried this last year and didn't do so good. I'm wondering if any of these guys want to go head to head with a master like Mister Gene Adams?
              Inquiring minds need to know

Comment

Tell Kaase I'll help him tune one...
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Alright I'm missing something, ( a few IQ points yes ) Why couldn't somebody build a 496ci chevy, afr heads, big solid roller, single plane, dominator, real basic setup and make I dunno 780+hp on pump gas and win? Is there some cubic inch ratio to torque, hp, I'm missing ? No I haven't read the rules...

Comment

Originally posted by RyanWalker
                    Alright I'm missing something, ( a few IQ points yes ) Why couldn't somebody build a 496ci chevy, afr heads, big solid roller, single plane, dominator, real basic setup and make I dunno 780+hp on pump gas and win? Is there some cubic inch ratio to torque, hp, I'm missing ? No I haven't read the rules...
                    If some one makes that same 780hp with fewer cubes your're screwed. But it's really not that simple, it's average power not just peak.

Comment

I guess there is a ratio then.....

Comment

It's real simple: make a sweep on the dyno from 3000-7000RPM, and use the "average HP" between those two points. Divide by cubic inches.

As I was reading the rules, the ideas going through my head were pretty crazy. Each time I'd get to a new "limitation" my idea would change... at first I was thinking "we could win this with a baby 4-banger easily! use a turbo 2.3 Ford" then I got to the "No power adders allowed even if they were OEM equipment" - so then I was thinking, "OK, let's bring a built Honda engine with 4-valve cylinder heads" then I saw the "no 4-valve per cylinder heads, even if OEM" and "minimum displacement 280 cubes" - so really, this is a competition for domestic v8s (we could do a Nissan or Toyota v8 over 280 cubes, but they both have 4-valve heads)...

But I am not going to complain, the fact that Dulcich opened this up for EFI still have me completely giddy. I didn't think we'd EVER see an Engine Masters that allowed EFI. ANd here we are.

I'm doing my best to either help put something together with a few friends, and if that doesn't work I am going to try to whore my services out to one of the major builders,

-scott
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I think I read somewhere in the rules it specifically says "Domestic V-8", right before the 280cid sentence if I rememeber right.

Comment

Scott, you probably could have stopped at the very first technical rule: Any normally aspirated, gasoline powered, domestic V-8 passenger car engine families produced by AMC, Ford, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Pontiac, Oldsmobile or Buick ("domestic OEM") that meets all rules criteria are acceptable.

Here is how the contest is scored. It's average hp and lb-ft from 3,000-7,000 rpm, averaged over three consecutive dyno pulls, then divided by displacement.

SCORING
                            Performance rankings for the competition pulls will be computed using Dynamic Test Systems (DTS) software. Each Entry?s scoring is a direct result of a Team?s engine Dyno performance, and resulting scores are specific to the engine. Points and scores are not transferable from a Team?s engine to another engine entry by the same Team, nor are points and scores transferrable from one Team to another Team.
                            If an event is postponed for any reason prior to the start of the scheduled run, it is necessary that any engine and Team still eligible for event competition be in attendance at the rescheduled date and time to be eligible for all scores and any contingency monies and/or awards. If an event is postponed and/or disrupted and rescheduled due to weather or other conditions, natural disasters, acts of God, etc., participants unable to return will not be eligible for any final placement and/or contingency monies, and will be listed as Did Not Finish (DNF) in the Event competition postings.
                            Competition pulls will consist of three consecutive acceleration pulls starting at 3,000 rpm and ending at 7,000 rpm. Then, "average torque corrected to SAE specs" (recorded to one decimal place) from each of the three competition pulls will be added together and divided by three (the resulting average of corrected torque will be recorded to one decimal place). The "average horsepower corrected to SAE specs" (recorded to one decimal place) from the three competition pulls will be added together and divided by three (the resulting average of corrected horsepower will be recorded to one decimal place).
                            To compensate for the varied engine displacements, the average torque and average horsepower from the competition pulls, as stated above (recorded to one decimal place), will be added together (the sum will be recorded to 1 decimal place) then divided by the CLAIMED cubic inch displacement of the engine (refer to ENGINE-displacement for proper cubic inch to be claimed), giving average horsepower and average torque per cubic inch to four significant digits (i.e., 2.345). Rounding of the quotient will be utilizing standard rounding, for example 2.3454=2.345; 2.3455=2.346. The quotient of these numbers multiplied by 1000 will determine the engine?s score, represented as a whole number. (i.e. 2345) Claiming a cubic inch less than actual calculated cubic inch as stated in the ENGINE-displacement section of these rules, shall result in disqualification. Claiming a cubic inch 5 or more cubic inches greater than actual calculations shall result in disqualification.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

As I was reading the rules, the ideas going through my head were pretty crazy. Each time I'd get to a new "limitation" my idea would change... at first I was thinking "we could win this with a baby 4-banger easily! use a turbo 2.3 Ford" then I got to the "No power adders allowed even if they were OEM equipment" - so then I was thinking, "OK, let's bring a built Honda engine with 4-valve cylinder heads" then I saw the "no 4-valve per cylinder heads, even if OEM" and "minimum displacement 280 cubes" - so really, this is a competition for domestic v8s (we could do a Nissan or Toyota v8 over 280 cubes, but they both have 4-valve heads)...

But I am not going to complain, the fact that Dulcich opened this up for EFI still have me completely giddy. I didn't think we'd EVER see an Engine Masters that allowed EFI. ANd here we are.

-scott
                              I hope someday someone will set up a competition that allows the 6s and 4s and poweradders. The Syntec Top Shop Challenge is weak sauce vs EMC. Nothing weak about AMS's 1035 hp 4g63.

I think the intake and injecter placement rules for the EFI are a little weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X