Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Engine Masters Challenge Rules Announced

Originally posted by horsewidower

I think the intake and injecter placement rules for the EFI are a little weak.
    In what way?

Comment

The way I read them, and correct me if I'm wrong, you have to use a carb intake with bosses that are already cast in. You can't move the injecter placement. If you are using an EFI intake for a later model you still can't move the injecters.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
        The way I read them, and correct me if I'm wrong, you have to use a carb intake with bosses that are already cast in. You can't move the injecter placement. If you are using an EFI intake for a later model you still can't move the injecters.
        I agree, when I read that I was thinking that pretty much keeps a few engine families out of the running simply because there isn't a ready made EFI manifold for them. When injector bungs are so readily available and drilling and welding isn't that far out of reach for most people, injector placement shouldn't be limited to "as where casts".

Though my vote is for an LSx engine, I wouldn't mind seeing an EFI'd Buick with a SPX intake like mine.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I don't think there is a decent mod motor or late hemi EFI intake available. I could be wrong. Iron block LSx might be the way to go.

Comment

You do not have to use a carb intake, but if you do, you must put the injectors on the as-cast pads. Under Intake Manifold, it says "Any commercially available cast iron or aluminum or composite (molded) intake manifold is acceptable."

Comment

And if the manifold doesn't have an "As Cast Pad" for injectors? Standard square bore carb/throttle body mount at the top.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yep

Comment

I think you missed my point. Or I didn't explain myself better. Let's take last years winner, was the as cast intake manifold optimized for placing a carb on it or injectors?? Furthermore, do you believe that any research was done on placement of the injector bosses when they were cast into a carb manifold, or were they just added to the manifold at the close to the port entry position? As to the use of a TBI if there are no as cast bosses, hardly a solution to optimizing an EFI setup.

But hey, at least they let em play in 2009. I'm glad they did, but its hardly optimum.

Comment

My "beliefs" don't come into it. I've stated no opinions; I've just read the rules.

My answer was simply that it is NOT required that you run a carb-style intake, but you are correct that the injector placement is limited. I didn't make a judgment call on if that was right or wrong.

Comment

C'mon, DF, I'm not challenging you, I'm just bench racing. ;D

I'll shut up now, I find myself just bitching a standard EFI guys bitch, and I hate that.

Jon Kaase stated on Speedtalk that he'll be running a 500" 429 Boss. Bet it'll be carbed. ;)

Comment

I'm not complaining but, if I were, it'd be about the ignition systems. I have to run a distributor if that's what the engine came with (from what I read). That sucks, why can't I fit a crank trigger and individual coils?

Also, I agree with horsewidower, it would be nice if, in the future, they didn't protect the Domestics form the slaughter we could bring with alternative engines! hehe

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                          I'm not complaining but, if I were, it'd be about the ignition systems. I have to run a distributor if that's what the engine came with (from what I read). That sucks, why can't I fit a crank trigger and individual coils?

Also, I agree with horsewidower, it would be nice if, in the future, they didn't protect the Domestics form the slaughter we could bring with alternative engines! hehe

;)

Comment

Working...
                          X