Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': Proud to be a Cockroach

Re: Barnstormin': Proud to be a Cockroach

How do you explain the "Pinks" and "Pinks All Out" phenomena?
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I always love it when the rich (or professionals) look down their noses at us poor, know-nothing peons, and try to explain that without them, Life As We Know It would cease to exist. Or at the very best, hardly be worth living without them and what they contribute.

Oops! There's the lights. Gotta run!

-Brad

Comment

Thanks for that Brian. Let's all hope this blog post goes viral within the drag racing community.

It's sounds like maybe somebody(a lot of somebodies)is overdue to be knocked down a peg. I get the impression sometimes that there are some that think that lower level racing wouldn't exist without the pro's(in all types of racing)when in fact it's just the opposite-the pro's wouldn't exist without grassroots racing. Why doesn't NHRA put on any events with pro classes only? Could it be that the "cockroaches" are the ones that are actually footing the bill?

Originally posted by mustang13
        This is a really good point. I have to wonder what the higher ups at the big sanctioning bodies are thinking about this-nothing but "cockroaches" and they sell out all the available spots in minutes. Track owners love it because when they host a Pinks All Out event they get PAID. The turnouts are huge and while the crowd maybe full of newbies to drag racing instead of dyed-in-the-wool guys like us, the show they're going to see is something they could see themselves doing. How much is NHRA doing to bring new participants into the sport? I could care less about going to another national event. I've been to plenty of them-if I got free tickets to the local one I'd go again. I'm all about going to a Pinks all out show-can't wait.

As I mentioned in the other thread, has all this big sponsorship money made the racing, the show, any better? I think not.

Comment

I have not been to an NHRA event since the 50th US Nats. I like the cockroach events better. Need to check out ADRL.

Comment

Another inspired bit of writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed

Originally posted by mustang13
              The turnouts are huge and while the crowd maybe full of newbies to drag racing instead of dyed-in-the-wool guys like us, the show they're going to see is something they could see themselves doing. How much is NHRA doing to bring new participants into the sport?

The newbies are what all of motorsports need. The "bring a kid to a car show" initiative needs to be extended to the rest of our hobby, avocation, whatever you want to call it.

I'm a proud cockroach damn it, and I'm sure the racer that made the quip started the same way.

Comment

Truth be told, like the rest of us he did.

And no....I'm not telling who it was. ;)

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  And no....I'm not telling who it was. ;)
                  And really, you don't need to. I think that mentality applies to a few people.

Hi, I'm Joe and I'm a cockroach.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been a drag racing fan since I attended a race at Cecil County in 1966. I was 7. I waited forever to finally go to a national NHRA event. I went to Fall Rt. 66 a few years ago. Expensive, crowded, I did not like it. Give me a friday night test and tune at Cordova, or a sunday at Byron any day. I'd much rather watch wheels up 10 second bracket cars over two perfect Pro Stockers making two more perfect runs.

Comment

so what this dude going to do if and when his big money dries up with the rest of them pros? sit at home? watch TV and talk on the phone? real racers race. even if its turtles if there ain't nothing else left.

Comment

Nice piece Brian. But then I am only a cockraoch, so what do I know?
                        Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I think if the "Pinks" Crew and a bunch of grassroots dragstrips all across the US got together to package a season, points, heads up by time index, winner take all, whatever, that was able to imbrace the "little guy"[read cockroach] and not run them off by the money needing to be spent to compete, it would give the NHRA Pro's a run for their money. I've only ran Super Pro bracket stuff at local tracks but, If "Pinks All Out" comes to the northeast again this summer I'm going to run in it. Heads up in an index time group is what makes the Sportsman class's so much fun to watch, and I think thats the charm of P.A.O. And the trump card to all this would be if Speed signed on to air it all summer long!
                          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Interesting commentary - I enjoyed reading it. And I have to agree with others here and say that I enjoy watching the "little guys" run run at the local airstrip as much or more than whats offered at the big shows..

But I'm not sure things are as rosy for the "cockroaches" of the world as you say it is. One thing you didn't account for is the fact that most cockroach level racers (or participants in the car hobby in general) come from the middle class - particularily the working blue-collar middle class. Being that the middle class has been the target of specific, concentrated attacks in recent years (long before the current economic "crisis") and is shrinking dramatically, I'm not sure you are going to see as many of those guys at your local track much longer either. There certainly won't be as many new, young faces as there may have been.

I personally can think of a couple guys I know who are trying to sell all their shit just so they can keep their heads above water. Trouble is, there's not many interested buyers either. I can think of others whos cars havent seen the light of day for a number of years (not only racers, but just vintage car enthusiasts) because keeping the bills paid and food on the table trumps putting gas in the playtoy.

Comment

Land Speed cockroach checking in - and damn proud of it. One reason I've stepped away from drag racing is that, even at a Sportsman level, I don't feel like I can afford to play. LSR isn't necessarily cheaper (depends on what level you play) but everyone is supportive, no matter what level you participate. I love Maxton - all the fun, virtually none of the BS.

Forgot to add - great piece, Brian. You did it again.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X