X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip
    replied
    Re: Freiburger's Pic of the Week: Googie Gas Station

I like the idea of making a book, something for on the coffee table. I'd buy one!

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

These Americana pics of yours are among my favorites of your work. I still have the issue of HR with patina pics and article. I guess it's history nut in me.

Leave a comment:

• AllenK
    replied

Originally posted by Huskinhano
    Around 79/80 I was on a service trip to Miller brewing in Albany GA. I took a side trip to Plains and went to Billy's gas station and had a beer there. I have a photo someplace. I'll have to find it and scan/post it. I even have a Tshirt from Billy's station.
    My wife and I went there in 2005. We saw Billy's old station,but we didn't take a picture for some reason. I sure did enjoy visiting the town!

Leave a comment:

• Gary 351C
    replied

Back when I started driving a truck '94-'95, I was up and down I-40 through Arizona quite a bit. That's like ground zero for stuff like that, especially off the beaten path. I wish I'd had the time to stop and take pictures.

Leave a comment:

• nosnerd
    replied

DF...have you ever thought about throwing a book together??

shit,i would buy it...."Freiburgers ride thru americas automotive Americana " or the "armchair guide to....

i ain't no English major,either!

al

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied

Around 79/80 I was on a service trip to Miller brewing in Albany GA. I took a side trip to Plains and went to Billy's gas station and had a beer there. I have a photo someplace. I'll have to find it and scan/post it. I even have a Tshirt from Billy's station.

Leave a comment:

• Blazerteam
    replied
    Re: Freiburger's Pick of the Week: Googie Gas Station

Originally posted by andy30thz
    Kind of reminds me of a gas station in the movie "highwaymen"
    Not a bad flix!! It stars a Caddy and Cuda in it.
    Check out the trailer...
    Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

Eldorado with a manual trans..Looks like a cool film ;)

Leave a comment:

• CM325
    replied

Gotcha ;) Now that i think about it there was a Simpsons
    episode where Alec Baldwin and His ex ( blond can't remember her name) lived in springfiled.
    As they were driving to thier house Barts looking out the window saying that.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Originally posted by CM325
    Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    This was my favorite and it was still in business until two years ago. It was in Santa Monica and they gave full service and a old school bottle of Coke with every fill up. It was also a place to get 100 octane.

Sadly, it was closed, ripped down and replaced with a McMansion on the lot. Someone told me that it was moved, but I can't confirm that yet.
    That truly sucks, evry aspect from full service to F-ing Mc.Donalds. Sorry for your loss. Thats a cool place you had there.
    Chris

McMansions here in SoCal are ugly ass, giant houses that are built onto every square inch of a lot where once a gorgeous house or business once stood.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

There was one of those space-age rocket theme gas stations like in DFs pic on Grant road in Tucson when I was a kid. It eventually went away, after beign a few other businesses for a while.

Leave a comment:

• CM325
    replied

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    This was my favorite and it was still in business until two years ago. It was in Santa Monica and they gave full service and a old school bottle of Coke with every fill up. It was also a place to get 100 octane.

Sadly, it was closed, ripped down and replaced with a McMansion on the lot. Someone told me that it was moved, but I can't confirm that yet.
    That truly sucks, evry aspect from full service to F-ing Mc.Donalds. Sorry for your loss. Thats a cool place you had there.
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NASBackyard
    replied

I got a few on my roadtrip in 07 . I also went up to Colusa Ca last summer looking for a Shell Station I saw back in 2000 .It had the 6 foot Shell sign and looked right out of the 60's and was still in business. It was gone, looked like it was bulldozed recently for a newer one. Heres a few.

This was in Texas on a short strip of Rt 66

This was also on Rt 66 in OK, notice the modern pumps/old gas station. I sat here for a 1/2 hr BSing with these guys

Nor CA this summer on my MC trip, off 101

Leave a comment:

• andy30thz
    replied

Kind of reminds me of a gas station in the movie "highwaymen"
    Not a bad flix!! It stars a Caddy and Cuda in it.
    Check out the trailer...
    Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

Leave a comment:

• mustang13
    replied

DF, the building may someday be gone but , your memories and pictures will last forever- THANK YOU for that! I think its time for you to do your own book of the many things you've scene, I'd buy it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X