X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Race Car of the Week: Audi's Group B Quattro S1

Re: Vintage Race Car of the Week: Audi's Group B Quattro S1

I watched the video and two things came to mind

1. Driving one of those things is a lot like hard core tree skiing. super narrow field of vision 10 feet in front of you and trying to see as much as you can 40 feet in front but only catching glimpses. for god sakes only look at the holes. I bet he never saw a single person beside the track.

2. That's a factory Audi dash. Isn't that like a cup car with a Lumina dash.

Nice feature Brian.

Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Great article Brian.

I assume VTJUNK would approve. ;)

Comment

I've never given much thought, much less attention, to rally racing.

Figured it was mind-numbing drivel.........shows what I know.

Thanks for expanding my horizons, Brian...... ;D

Comment

He uses his feet twice as much as his hands......Very Cool.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by CM325
            Great article Brian.

I assume VTJUNK would approve. ;)
            And I do. ;D

Thanks Brian, those were incredible cars, that not many people know much about. I feel that when I mention them I get the same looks that someone might get when they talk about how fast their Camry is.

I'll always regret getting rid of mine. It's the only import car I'll miss. No way to get it back either, most of these cars have fallen into the hands of collectors with deeper pockets than mine.

Comment

Thanks for this Brian. The foot work is like an automotive ballet. Love the left foot braking. Great article and great video.
              This is the kind of thing that shows folks what international type rallying is all about.

Comment

There's some Group b stuff out there not a whole lot though.

Here's the STIG from topgear driving one.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Unlike some of my counterparts... I had rally posters from Europe in my room as a teenager...

Good stuff!

Comment

I've got an old Crash and Burn video that has a Ford RS2000 crashing into the crowd on the side of the road[ dirt path!]. I guess thats why they were called the killer B's. Again, job well done BL.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

At 1:52 in the vid it shows the boost gauge. It goes to 1.8 bar. That's apparently not high enough because they painted marks up to 2.1 bar (30.45 psig) on the bezel.

Kevin

Comment

I didn't pay much attention to rally cars until recently. I've got a buddy who's a rally junkie so he's been supplying me with a great footage (old and new) of the world of rally racing. The Group B cars were insane, definitely a golden era of the motorsport. I'm slowly becoming a rally junkie myself, it looks like way too much fun.

From what I understand the Quattro S1 was a bear to handle. Besides all that wicked power, the engine was located ahead of the front wheels.

Great choice for a vintage race car of the week. ;D

Comment

If I can get my scanner to work again, I'll post some pics I took at different rally's in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach-1
                            I didn't pay much attention to rally cars until recently. I've got a buddy who's a rally junkie so he's been supplying me with a great footage (old and new) of the world of rally racing. The Group B cars were insane, definitely a golden era of the motorsport. I'm slowly becoming a rally junkie myself, it looks like way too much fun.

From what I understand the Quattro S1 was a bear to handle. Besides all that wicked power, the engine was located ahead of the front wheels.

Great choice for a vintage race car of the week. ;D

Mach...you're right on with the handling assessment. If I didn't have to work a real job, these little pocket stories would be about 100 time longer, but I gotta sleep. Anyway, the cars pushed badly according to my reading and research. When they built the 1,000hp model that never saw the light of day, the test drivers said that thing was so responsive and so powerful that it would just plow in a straight line under and type of throttle.

When test drivers are scared of something, it's truly beyond the pale.

;)

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I was reading that Audi has a Sport quattro, the one with the short wheelbase, that is still new. It is used for displays at special events, and they keep getting more and more ridiculous offers for it. They won't part with it, it's the only one they saved. When it's stored, it's in a temp and humidity controlled environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X