X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cool Old Press Photos: Ancient Mercury Memory Seats

Originally posted by Brad54
    My '54 Buick has a heated seat,
    I'm currently retrofitting one to my '62 Suburban.

-Brad
    I have a 56 suburban I got as a parts truck, it has a heater under the seat.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My favorite not new idea was the radio station 'seek' funtion. Well right up there with vacuum actuated systems. Then my friend sent me the link to these two webpages. Seems a few companies decided there was a market for people who just had to bring their favorite music with them on the road. Yup. You guessed it. (but I sure never would have) Chrysler started offering record players in their cars. see http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html and the appendix page that follows.

Comment

Originally posted by madmatt
        My favorite not new idea was the radio station 'seek' funtion. Well right up there with vacuum actuated systems. Then my friend sent me the link to these two webpages. Seems a few companies decided there was a market for people who just had to bring their favorite music with them on the road. Yup. You guessed it. (but I sure never would have) Chrysler started offering record players in their cars. see http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html and the appendix page that follows.
        I have restored/repaired a few of those. And you thought Stereo 8-Track was a weak idea.

Probably not the first attempt but the first automotive record player I know of was Highway Hi-Fi, developed by Dr. Peter Goldmark (inventor of the LP record format and color wheel television) and was a Chrysler option. Highway Hi-Fi used the 16 2/3 rpm "talking book" format (in case you ever wondered what that speed on your turntable was for) with an extremely narrow groove to get one hour of program per side with a 7-inch record. To turn the record over you had to open a door and slide out the unit a foot or two. Needless to say the special records are incredibly rare today -- the size of a 45 single but with a 33 rpm spindle bore. Mainly broadway productions so if you are into show tunes this is your deal. Since the recording format was originally designed for spoken word it was not very good at orchestral music, dead above 10k Hz.

The more conventional type of auto record player came long a few years later, circa 1960, using standard 45 rpm records. There were many makes but Chrysler's was super deluxe. RCA Victor, had a 12-disc changer that played the records upside down like a juke box. Others simply had a slot in the front, took in one record more or less like a modren PC's CD player. Very popular in Kustoms of the era along with shag carpeting and princess phone (inoperative of course).

About the same time Chrysler was doing record players, GM had a deal with a removable transistor sub-radio in the dash. Sounds corny but at this time the word "transistor" was the height of technology. One idea of the '50s I thought was a good one was making the station seek button a foot pedal switch on the driver's left floor, right next to the headlamp dimmer.

Comment

Hiway Hi-Fi record players

If you click on the ookworld link, they have illustrations of the Chrysler units. But they just mention in passing that there were others.

Aw. 8-tracks had some merit. Like they just kept playing over and over and over, and if the metal strip was still on the loop, they even changed tracks by themselves. :-\

Comment

I came across this link on another forum today and remembered this blog.

Comment

Brought to you by the inventor of "Autosuck" & "Dildomatic"!

Comment

Working...
              X