Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Freak of the Week: Russian ZiL Screw-Propelled Truck Thing

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: Russian ZiL Screw-Propelled Truck Thing

All things military and motorized are cool . Just the idea of going thru ANYTHING .........Man thats freedom......er well as much as you could get in the cold war days in the USSR .

Comment

That's actually a pretty cool design. I bet the weak link is the actual drive unit where it attaches to the screw. Did I see in part of that clip the thing tramming sideways? I wonder what terrain that thing doesn't do well in.... Get those screws buoyant enough and that thing could hit water too!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

My son has a Tyco RC toy that is just like this, It will go anywhere, aspecially over bare feet-OUCH!!! >
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Cool video. I once saw a photo of that on EnglishRussia, and wondered how (or if) that thing worked. I had been wondering if there were any videos out there of one in action.

Comment

Nothing like a tank that will plow your fields as they use your land to fight a battle. I don't think I'd want to see the results of men getting in front of this thing in battle. Quisenart comes to mind. Yuck.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That thing is just plain evil.....I want one....

So Cool.

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Saw it on tv once.....crazy thing.....give a whole new meaning to the term "screw it"

Comment

Looks like its from that movie Damnation alley

Comment

I'll bet you could "F" a Cow up enough to make Hamburger out of it.
                      You need a Hockey mask to drive it, and go right over a Car in Traffic. Yuck!

Comment

There is part of the idea used in the Videogame Metal Gear Solid III, Snake Eater that uses this combined with Caterpillar treads in the back. I know that they used a lot of weird Soviet tech in that game like the Ekranoplan ground effect aircraft and other things. The idea is really cool and on one episode of Junkyard Wars they build one of these using paired automotive CV joints on the ends to drive the screw floats which were made out of 55gal oil drum welded end on end and had the screws made out of sheetmetal circles cut and welded together. Like SB said, the weakness was the drive mechanism of using the automotive CV joints at such extreme angles and any additional stress like pulling a load or fouling the screws would snap them. That ZiL looks to use either end drive gears or chains on something like a tank differential steering setup so you could crab it sideways by putting full forward on one screw and full reverse on the other.

I must have a mental link to this site because today I was actually thinking about how to build one of these since ponds and such are freezing over with the extreme (for middle TN) cold and it would be a great time to play around with something who's only limitation on traction would be how high of an obstacle it could get over. It isn't the first time I've thought of something then ya'll have put it up on here, I was thinking about that Hungarian jet fire extinguisher the same day ya'll tossed that up there too.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I think this thing is a great idea ( must have been stolen from the Germans). I had WAY to much experience with broken tracks on APC's and Sheridan tanks in 1970 and I can tell you they really suck in mud, anything that isn't flat and land mines.

Comment

F it, I want one!!! The only way they could make that baby better would be to put a HEMI in it.

Comment

Damn - Ya just gotta love military tech. those guys have THE coolest toys.
                              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X