X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': Me and Steve

Re: Barnstormin': Me and Steve

Yup, grew up with him, too.

I watched alot of drag racing then, he was the one of the best, IMO.

Comment

No slight to Dave Mac, but for me growing up....

Steve Evans WAS my direct connection to all things in motorsports.

TNN, American Sports Cavalcade and Diamond P was just IT for me.

Thanks for bringing this up on the Blog...good stuff.

Comment

He was the man,and I rate him as the best announcer also!

I sure do miss him and his professionalism.

Comment

The Sundays spent watching TNN with the old man in my mind are priceless times I wouldn't give up for anything. I hope my son views the time we spend watching Speed the same way. I do have to say that Greg Creamer and Army Armstrong are up there with Steve Evans as my favorites though.
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Brian, THANK YOU.

As a kid, my parents and I would go to my grandparents for dinner just about every Sunday. For my Father and I the REAL reason was because their cable comapny had TNN and we could watch Performance Plus and Diamond P Sports. Looks like you and I are about the same age (I'll be 30 next month), that was some of the best time I've ever spent with my Father. The family would have to drag us away from the tv to go home. My favorite was the Swamp Buggy coverage and the traditional jump in the sippy hole with the queen at the end. Usually one of the broadcast staff would go for an involuntary dip as well.

Definetly a sad day when Steve passed on, he was one of the best, and you nailed the reasons why.

Army Armstrong, forgot about that name. Brings back memories of Monster Truck coverage and my favorite, Rod Litzou in the USA-1.
            GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Well,, he is one of the best, and Dunn does a great job for my ears too.

The all time worst ever in history is PAUL PAGE. I have these acid like flashes in my mind when ever he speaks of Dunn just open hand slapping him to the ground while screaming STFU!

Comment

There are a handfull of motorsports announcers that are simply great at what they do and Steve was up there at the top.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I was too young to attend a weekend at Lions but, the Diamond P sports events were great winter weekends at the track for Dad and I. Steve had the enthusiasm and intensity to make your really interested in watching whatever sport was being televised by TNN that weekend. I was completely amazed when I found out that Steve had died. That was 2 years ago in 2006. I read all of the newspaper articles on the internet and am still astonished about how mysterious his death really was. The best thing that I came across was a CD that Steve had made before his death. It was called Sunday, Sunday, Sunday: The Best of Steve Evans. It has all of the old Drag Racing radio announcements that he had compiled over the years. You can still hear the contagious enthusiasm in his voice and his personalized style of captivation. Steve was one of the greats and will sorely be missed. I am glad that someone feels the same way that I do.

Comment

Sunday afternoons on TNN with Steve Evans was my version of weekend football. Even wifey would spend the afternoon watching whatever happened to be racing. Sure miss that.

Comment

Two things to also mention about Mr. Evans, his spot in the movie "Heart Like A Wheel", who better to play the mike guy at a drag race. Also, his son Cameron Evans, who is a great TV host, personality in his own right. I think Cam is still at Popular Hotrodding?
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Steve Evans was one of the great ones, for sure. When he teamed up with Mac, you KNEW it was going to be an exciting race.

My fondest memory of Steve Evans was at the Sears Craftsman Nationals at Heartland Park. I was riding shotgun in a golf cart with Alan Reinhart as he was headed to the big end to interview the fuel drivers after their runs. As we approached the end of the racetrack, we came upon Steve Evans and his camera crew setting up to film top end footage and interviews for Diamond P.
                        Steve jumped off his golf cart and walked over to speak with some of the alcohol drivers while waiting for the fuel cars to run. As he was away, Reinhart pointed out to the camera crew they had a flat tire on their golf cart. Sure enough, the Dunlop had lost it's air and the camera crew took it all in stride. They shrugged, laughed and loaded all their gear on Evans golf cart and left him with the disabled cart. We didn't stick around to see what happened when Evans returned, but I can only imagine what happened when he mashed the gas and the cart pulled sideways.

Ron
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I have all the Diamond P yearly NHRA reviews and the two Decade Of Thrills,
                          Steve Evans made them great viewing.
                          Sad to hear he passed.

Comment

Steve Evans along with Dave McClelland were the best NHRA announcers. Bob Frey does a great job with the sportsman side and Mike Dunn does his best to hold up Paul Page. American Sports Cavalcade was great. We lost a lot with Steves passing.

Comment

I have been meaning to get this CD BE THERE! I found once and it has all the old drag race radio adds many with Steve Evans. I too grew up watching car shows on TNN (I am 27) also like him in the friday nigh motor madness show (before it got ruined) I bet he would have been a great guy to have a drink with and listen to.

Comment

Working...
                              X