X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checker: Out of Business

Re: Checker: Out of Business

Awwww....

When I worked at the transmission shop in the early 80s, there was a wierd transmission core there...it was a Cruise-O-Matic with a Chevy bellhousing. Apparently Checker used them for a little while in the 60s...they bought engines from Chevy and transmissions from Ford (ok, probably Borg Warner) and had to get them to fit together somehow.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Those dummy's should have started building new Checkers.They would have sold like crazy
      and gave Ford a run for its money with its Crown Vic. I rode in them a few times (Checkers)
      cool car, they had those little jumper seats and you could put 5 people in the back comfortably.
      Id rather have that for a family than a stupid minivan. The front and rear bumper were the same
      so they could be switched and put back on the road after an accident.

Boy is Louie Depalma gonna be pissed when he hears this!

Comment

This was a shocker!

I figured Checker's goose was cooked years ago.....little did I know.

When someone mentions a taxi, a Checker is still what comes to mind....although I've never ridden in a Checker(and can count the times I've been in a taxi on one hand and have fingers left over).

Comment

I worked on one a few years back, forget what year it was but it had a 4.3 throttle body in it. I would like to find one.

Comment

I vomited in one back in the late 1990's in NYC. My buddy started yelling, "yack and run!"

So we did.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedJunkee
              I worked on one a few years back, forget what year it was but it had a 4.3 throttle body in it. I would like to find one.
              must have been retrofitted, as the last Checkers were made in 82 and the 4.3 wasn't even a twinkle in Louis Chevrolet's eye then

btw, my first thought seeing the subject line was that the auto parts store was out of business. They did get bought by Oreilley's recently
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Couple of neat articles on Checker.......

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

There was a Checker dealer near us in Maryland. Dad always threatened to buy one, he said they would run forever. Mom put the kibosh on the Checker plan.
                  I worked on a brand new one in 1977. Had a Chevy inline 6, Turbo 400 and a Dana 60 rear end. The bumpers were the same shape and thickness as expressway guardrails.

Comment

What will D.C. Cab do now?

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                      I worked on a brand new one in 1977. Had a Chevy inline 6, Turbo 400 and a Dana 60 rear end.
                      probably a Dana 44, they look just like the 60 but a bit smaller. I replaced a rear in a late 60s checker with one from an early 70s chevy full size car, it was an easy swap. And I put the gears from the Checker into a GMC truck Dana 44 rearend from the mid 60s (the Checker rear housing had a bad end and bad axle)
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

I remember my dad borrow a Checker stretched station wagon one time to take a bunch of underprivledged kids to a summer camp. The thing was long and square, but the kids had a blast in that thing. Dad said driving it was like driving a semi that didn't bend in the middle.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X