X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Guys You Should Know: Virgil Exner

Re: Gearhead Guys You Should Know: Virgil Exner

Nice article about the fellow.

Although I think you have the transition years for the Chryslers off by 1 year though.
    The 1961 and '62 Chryslers were practically the same, and only differed by the absence of fins in '62. These finless Chryslers, along with finless the '63 Chryslers, became known as the 'plucked chickens'.
    1963 was more a major redesign of the previous models. The '64 Chryslers again had minor changes and tiny fins on their rear fenders again. 1964 was the last year there was a just a trace of Exner's design influences. The '65 models were designed by Engel which came from Ford, and therefore these models resemble more like a Lincoln did.

1961 Chrysler

1962 Chrysler

1963 Chrysler

1964 Chrysler
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Well, crap....now I feel kinda bad about bustin' on Mr. Exner all these years.....

The Mopes still look like the result of a bad "trip", though.

Comment

Just read the book about him.
        Lots of good info on the man.
        I still think the 57/58 plymouths one of the best looking carsof all time.

Comment

58yeoman,
          I'll go out on a limb here and say that even the 4dr Hardtop models of Plymouth look good... 8) But, maybe that's because there's one heading in my direction currently... ;D

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have a freind who currently has 13 57/58 plymouths. he takes 4 doors and converts them into 2 doors. thats how many parts he has! And unless you REALLY knew these cars you couldn't tell.

Comment

One thing I would like to do one day, is to convert a hardtop car into a convertible. But uptill now I haven't stumbled on the right kinda car for this conversion.
              The 4dr HT Plymouth of mine could be a candidate though.
              Although I think I would be hardpressed by cutting off a rustfree roof of a car, let along hack into a pair of rustfree doors aswell.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Many people don't realize that the '47 Studebaker was the first completely new design in American cars after WWII. It was a step forward in design. Studebaker claimed to by "The first by far with a post war car."

Lowey was an excellent designer. He designed cars, trains, appliances and I think he even did the Coke bottle at one point, but he also took a lot of credit for what other folks had done. Exner was one example and Robert Bourke was another. Lowey often gets full credit for the '53 through '55 Studebakers, you know those low sleek beautiful ones. In reality it was Bourke that penned those cars.

Great article. Exner has always been one of my favorites, his "forward look" Mopars are some of the best, in my opinion.
                Thanks, Brian.

Comment

...... i dunno if im crazy but ive been thinking for a while about a 62 dodge dart or even a dart wagon with a straight axle and jacked up on some 413 maxie power.

Comment

Originally posted by dartboy
                    ...... i dunno if im crazy but ive been thinking for a while about a 62 dodge dart or even a dart wagon with a straight axle and jacked up on some 413 maxie power.
                    Doesn't sound crazy to me. Pretty cool in fact.

Comment

Very interesting. Another guy they need today.

Comment

I always wondered why the '63-'64 Chryslers never took off in popularity...they aren't "Fin cars" and they ain't "C-Bodys"....

:-\ unloved orphans...

I have two for sale cheap. They're about to get "parked out yonder" so I can work on my wagon instead (better parts availability).

hell, the derby guys don't even like 'em much :D

Comment

Originally posted by 66gg1tnc
                          I always wondered why the '63-'64 Chryslers never took off in popularity...they aren't "Fin cars" and they ain't "C-Bodys"....
                          That's because most people don't see potential in certain cars.
                          And the fact they're plain ugly doesn't help either I guess ;D
                          I'll have to admit I really don't care much for the '63 models either. Their rearclip seems kinda lame to me, and the front doesn't look 'balanced' enough. But the '64 models have grown on me. I think it's because their tiny fins on the rearfenders, and because my first Chrysler was a '64...

This one bit the rustdust after I decided I would fix up the partscar I had acquired for it instead;

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Well - personally, I believe there is a very good reason Exner was fired: All those early '60's mopars.

I'm a big fan of most of his stuff up until 1959...but after that, *shudder*

A 64 polara however.....mmmmmmmmmmm......

Comment

I have to tell you I love the 61 plymouth furys, in either hard or soft top.
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.
                              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                              X