Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Freak of the Week: The Russian Caspian Sea Monsters

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: The Russian Caspian Sea Monsters

A few years ago I saw a show on the Military channel on this and others like it. Awesome stuff! You have to hand it to the Russians, they would try anything.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Those things are pretty damn intimidating looking!! :o And huge and sleek. The video says that one of the advantages is that they fly below enemy radar. They can cruise at 500 mph and carry 1000 soldiers and can be equipped to carry nuclear missiles.
      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

[quote=yogreasygramma ]
        Those things are pretty damn intimidating looking!![quote]

You are absolutely right about that. Maybe somebody should send a few of those bad boys, with the appropriate weaponry, to the coast of Somalia. :

Comment

I heard somewhere that rogue waves were an 'issue'. So they made 'em bigger an bigger to get over the waves. I also heard they truly were badass's and that we had our own in development during the early 80's. but then the soviets had thier break-up and all the projects were sunk.........The soviets also tried to turn Migs into Harrier's and pics of those jets are truly bizzare. rockets and thrusters duct taped everywhere......Have ya ever heard of the Buran?
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

That sea-plane thingamajigger is just WILD....

Buran....Soviet Space Shuttle.

A knock-off of our own Shuttle program.....could lift heavier payloads due to increased lifting power(had some SERIOUS boosters, but no engines of its own).

Flew once(unmanned) and was mothballed......heavy snows caved in the roof of the hangar it was stored in.

The Anatov 225 was initially built just to ferry the Buran around(same as the modified Boeing 747 that totes our shuttles around when they land out west).

Comment

I've been pondering the actual VALUE of this freaky design...what real sense is there to this?...then it hit me:

While long-distance open-ocean use would be nothing more than suicide, a short crossing, oh, say the 90 miles or so separating Cuba from the Florida coast....perfect invasion vehicle.

Flys low enough to avoid radar, big enough to transport assault forces and vehicles.....man I'm glad they didn't ever get around to that.

Comment

Wow...that thing looks like a floating Il-76. :o
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
                  You have to hand it to the Russians, they would try anything.
                  Yes - but back then, only if it had military applications.

Comment

Just wondering if those Ruskie brain buckets the crew wear are Snell approved?
                    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                      Buran....Soviet Space Shuttle.

A knock-off of our own Shuttle program.....could lift heavier payloads due to increased lifting power(had some SERIOUS boosters, but no engines of its own).

Flew once(unmanned) and was mothballed......heavy snows caved in the roof of the hangar it was stored in.

The Anatov 225 was initially built just to ferry the Buran around(same as the modified Boeing 747 that totes our shuttles around when they land out west).
                      Supposedly there were some drawing errors on the original Rockwell plans that were caught on the Shuttle that were faithfully reproduced on Buran.

Comment

The other reason for those machines... Look at the maps of the Soviet Union; unlike Washington DC, there's limited places to launch a surprise attack against moscow from boomer subs - this plane would prevent that because it could react soon enough to intercept boomers.... also most of the Soviet's worries came from the Scandanavian countries - thus this could be designed with that worry in mind.... my 2c

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                        X