Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': Wrecks

Re: Barnstormin': Wrecks

I am loving the stories....Keep them coming.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
      I am loving the stories....Keep them coming.

Seth
      I second that.

Comment

WOW.....

Man, glad all involved came out OK...that's the most important thing right off the bat.

Keep the Blogs a-comin', bub...but save a few for the inevitable meeting.

I'm gonna see just how long you can keep yer eyes open.

Comment

Dude....trust me, I'd have carpal tunnel before I got 1/100th of the way there.

;D

Eyes open...shit. I'm gonna be tasing your ass to keep up.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

LMAO......something tells me to get the firepit dug in the back yard.

*threadjack completed*

Comment

very well written, Brian. more please.....
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Love the stories, more would be cool.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The crash shown in the photo... I remember it like yesterday. Stan Fox in the short chute, 1995.

He survived, but the crash destroyed everything in him except his unquenchable belief in his ability to drive a race car. Tragic. He couldn't quite walk or talk straight after that but every year he would come to the Speedway looking for a ride. Eventually he came to believe there was some dark conspiracy among the team owners to keep him out of a race car. And I suppose there was. Ron Hemelgarn would hire him on to keep him busy and occupied each May. He later died in a road car accident down under. At his best, Stan was unbelievably smooth in an Indy car at the Speedway and as good as there ever was in a midget. RIP Fox.

The most spectacular crash I ever saw was Kenny Brack's at Texas. He touched wheels with Scheckter on the backstretch and got up into the fence. The car struck a pole and then it was gone -- instantly. It just wasn't there anymore, it disintegrated. It was there one second and then it wasn't. Robin Miller, David Phillips, and the rest of us were standing outside the track medical center when Kenny's wife Anita, very pregnant at the time, came out and said, "he'll be fine," calm and composed as could be. There's a woman.

Comment

Excellent stories Brian. Sucks hearing about crashes, but as you said when no one is killed or severely hurt they can be quite interesting.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Here mine,almost too close....

Back in 1985 or 86 I was very involved in the Firestone Et series at Firebird in CHANDLER(!),Az.
                      Me and my 85 Mustang were in the staging lanes waiting for our first round run at our monthly points race,lane 6 I think,second from the fence.

A funny car had pulled into lane 8 (outside lane) and was cleared to do a license pass.I think it was his second,Burn out,Stage then a quick hit and shut down and roll out to the end. First three tasks went ok,it was the shut down that was a problem.Car was at a high idle (I think) and was not shutting down,some how the driver got the car stopped right at the finish line with just the brakes.His crew was on the way in the truck...Now things went bad...The guy starts rolling and TURNS the car around and heads back to the starting line and,oh,about 100 people and 50 or so cars waiting in the lanes. The lane he came out of was now full of Motorcycles! About 1/2 way back the now over worked rear brakes are toast and the car is picking up speed,announcer YELLS over the PA for everybody to get out of the staging lanes and away from the starting line.
                      I missed the hit,I was hidding behind the tower!
                      The car took out the tree,made a right turn to go back into the lane he came out of and took out one bike and jammed the car into the guard rail.
                      Everybody rolled to the seen,made sure the driver was safe,got him out of the car,calmed him down then the race director/starter/manager REAMED his ass on the spot in front of EVERYBODY! I had raced at Firebird from pretty much the day it opened and I had never seen the starter that pissed! Sorry I cant remember his name.

That was scary as heck for me,I think the guy who worked,or still works, at Lopers was at the head of the line in lane 7 with his shoe box Chevy,55/56/57. That car was/is nice and it almost got it that day.

Comment

A comebacker like that is probably the ultimate nightmare for a drag strip.
                        There's nothing to do but run like hell, or like you did, hide.

That must have been some scary crap and I'm guessing they didn't sign off on his license. ;)

Brian

Comment

I know getting chuckes from other folks misery is not really funny, but I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire thread - thanks
                          a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

This should become a weekly blog.

Seth
                            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                              This should become a weekly blog.

Seth
                              The Lohnes Wreck File.....hmmm it could be fun.

They're all "....and they walked away" stories, except for a few that I'll only tell in private, because they weren't.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X