Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw-Propelled Vehicle Shocker: We Tree'd The Ruskies By Decades!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw-Propelled Vehicle Shocker: We Tree'd The Ruskies By Decades!

Re: Screw-Propelled Vehicle Shocker: We Tree'd The Ruskies By Decades!

Better make damn sure that baby is in neutral before getting off. And shut the engine down. And remove the coil wire.

Comment

Got you by an hour on that one Brian, a friend e-mailed me with it yesterday ...

Neat stuff, although I tend to think that the snow would have to be pretty dense, the weight of that machine would sink right down in fluffy powder.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Two words: neutral drop

;D
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
          Got you by an hour on that one Brian, a friend e-mailed me with it yesterday ...

Neat stuff, although I tend to think that the snow would have to be pretty dense, the weight of that machine would sink right down in fluffy powder.
          cheers
          Ed N.
          You tree'd me Ed! You are exactly right about the powder. In my research for another piece I am working on, the original intention for these was to drag logs out of the woods, like a primative log skidder. Horses were used, but it was horrible work for the horses and the people that drove the animals.

What the loggers found was, as you have surmised, on hard pack snow, the thing was awesome. Like in the video, it would pull a massive amount of weight as compared to the horses. When it got into powder, it was just about useless.

A guy from Maine came up with the solution and you'll learn more about him tomorrow in the "freak" section.

What a freaking segue huh? ;)

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

"Hello, OSHA? Better get right up to the U.P."

Comment

Yep, the Russians copied everything. Everything!

I love the Chevy car version of the snow motor. It's way cool!! Somehow I like that idea rather than using salt on the roads....well, different times, different solutions.
                President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

The last 30 seconds of the video show how crop circles are made.

Comment

A chevy version, nice. I'd like to see one retrofitted for water/snow use, maybe a modern day material one.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

From what I can tell the biggest similarity between the U.S. and Soviet versions of this thing was that neither seemed to be very successful. Of course Brian's sequel may prove me wrong.

Now with that said. That tractor, and even better the car version, of that thing look like it could be a lot of fun.

Comment

Those drive "drums" must-have been fabulously expensive, and I'm sure friction, wear and damage were problems on all but the softest and slipperiest surfaces. I still want one...

I once visited Alaska (in the summer) and saw some pretty nutty-looking equipment sitting around, evidently intended for winter use or in summer muck. Always track-based drive though.

Comment

A bit of a memory twister. I tried to find pics, articles, etc on the mighty internet & failed. Someone out there make me proud.

1984 ish. Chevy Cavalier. BIG V8 with BIG 14-71 blower, tin (aluminum) interior. Totally impractical for the street but the concept caught on and for a number of years we enjoyed street legal ProStock Cavaliers in Hot Rod. Near the very beginning of the "cruise around the fairground under your own power" weekend. Yellow perhaps...

After doing the first example of above and maybe a follow up or two the fabricator and his wife build an Archimedes screw vehicle to go around the world. A screw on each side of what looked like a polished grain silo on its side. Their vehicle got a half page in Hot Rod and other Peterson publications.

?

Comment

are you talking about rick dobbertin, the King of Pro Street??

he had a 65 nova then he built Top Gun,then a FWD gran am for driving....
                            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                            X