Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Inside Darren Tedder's 654ci, E85-Burning, 1,261HP Hemi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deep Inside Darren Tedder's 654ci, E85-Burning, 1,261HP Hemi!

"Thanks. well, I'm not running nitrous on this motor, but have used low tension on plenty of nitrous motors before. I wouldn't do it without a good evac pump though for the reason you mentioned. The rod angle is what it is, and that was the shortest compression height I could do without going to an .032 ring package, so that's as long a rod as I could fit. As for longevity, it's still picking up power. It only had 6 pulls on it when I went to the final. the last 2 times I've put it on the dyno it picked up both times on the same dyno.

On your 683 and 695 what changes did you have to make to deck height, or spacing to get away with it. This one is on factory deck and bore spacing."

Understood on the low tension rings. My pro mod experience (and virtually anyone I know) never had very good luck with them using heavy nitrous (3-4 big stages). I've had wet chambers with them even while pulling 18 inches vac downtrack. Hope they work out for you long term. But with the E-85 you're playing a different ballgame and it may not be an issue at all. I hope it isn't for your sake.
    Regarding deck ht., I ran 11.225" & 11.800" (with aluminum spacer plates on the block). The 11.800 ht. was likely overkill once the pistons were finally light enough, but it did allow me to get a 7.800"+ rod in it - which again probably isn't needed if the piston is light enough. I initially had a lot of skirt wear (specifically piston rock at the bottom of the stroke) and the longer the rod, the better they lived. Borespace was that little 4.800". As you well know by now, building a big '26 is kind of like trying to put 5 quarts into a gallon container. It gets real tight in there. I can certainly appreciate what you've done and really like it.

Comment

Would be cool to see that car at drag week if was a street car

Comment

Originally posted by hemihedd
        "Thanks. well, I'm not running nitrous on this motor, but have used low tension on plenty of nitrous motors before. I wouldn't do it without a good evac pump though for the reason you mentioned. The rod angle is what it is, and that was the shortest compression height I could do without going to an .032 ring package, so that's as long a rod as I could fit. As for longevity, it's still picking up power. It only had 6 pulls on it when I went to the final. the last 2 times I've put it on the dyno it picked up both times on the same dyno.

On your 683 and 695 what changes did you have to make to deck height, or spacing to get away with it. This one is on factory deck and bore spacing."

Understood on the low tension rings. My pro mod experience (and virtually anyone I know) never had very good luck with them using heavy nitrous (3-4 big stages). I've had wet chambers with them even while pulling 18 inches vac downtrack. Hope they work out for you long term. But with the E-85 you're playing a different ballgame and it may not be an issue at all. I hope it isn't for your sake.
        Regarding deck ht., I ran 11.225" & 11.800" (with aluminum spacer plates on the block). The 11.800 ht. was likely overkill once the pistons were finally light enough, but it did allow me to get a 7.800"+ rod in it - which again probably isn't needed if the piston is light enough. I initially had a lot of skirt wear (specifically piston rock at the bottom of the stroke) and the longer the rod, the better they lived. Borespace was that little 4.800". As you well know by now, building a big '26 is kind of like trying to put 5 quarts into a gallon container. It gets real tight in there. I can certainly appreciate what you've done and really like it.
        Thanks man, I'm not worried about the rings as long as she stays off the bottle. The added deck height would be a huge help, and you being able to run a long rod had to be a comfort knowing what the skirt has to endure hung on the end of a short rod. I know my skirts are going to get a work out with this rod, but it is what it is. All that hanging out the bottom of the bore stuff is just ugly as I'm sure you know with a 695. The thing I hate the most about the 5 quart in a gallon container thing is the crank being all stuffed up in the block so you can hardly get the oil off it. Thanks for the comments man, I'm sure fighting a 26 in a promod was a real fight.

Comment

As you said, keeping the crank out of oil with the bottom of the block structured as it is is virtually impossible. I ran 5 stage dry sumps and that did help some (though I understand you can't fit such a long pump in the car). Though I love Hemi's, the only way I see to do this 'right' would be to go to a custom chev style billet block (such as a CN or other) with the headbolt pattern drilled for '26 heads (they could probably shift a 4.840 borecenter enough to make it work). On a unblown application, just losing the skirt on that block & keeping the recip mass out of oil would likely be worth real hp - and the cam could go way up too. Just think of how many problem areas that would solve.

You mentioned how scary the piston looks at the bottom of the stroke, that's the reason I backed up from 5.375" to 5.300" stroke just to keep that .075" extra in the sleeve. Believe it or not, even that little bit helped skirt wear considerably.
          BTW, I agree a different/straight runner intake with a bigger plenum might help considerably.

I've been waiting several years for someone to try what you have. I've been there & done it, but it sure seemed lonesome. Most likely thought I was crazy, but I just wanted something different. You're doing the same thing. Though I normally only ran it 76-7800 in the gears, one thing I did become convinced of was, a Hemi made more torque per cube and delivered a smoother power range than about anything out there. That consistently made it easier to get the car down bad & mediocre tracks and it ended up winning several pro mod races for that reason.

Good luck with it and please keep us advised of the progress.

Comment

Thanks man, it does feel lonely sometimes, but I can't help but think it's worth doing. At some point I'll put some cam timing in it and see what happens. I'm new to Washington and know few people, and have few resources here to really get crazy with it. Hurting the motor right now would mean it sitting till I could ship it to GA, go down and fix it there.

I'm playing with some millennium heads right now by adding quench pads and I think I can get the chamber volume down to 120cc's or less without effecting flow (may even help direct it to the bottom better). A flat top X forging will work then, and take another 100+grams out of the piston.

You're right about the cam location too going to +.250 where it is now is still .250 too low. .500 from factory would do nothing but make everything better, but it would be a total re engineer of the block and associated parts to do so and at that point I'd be on a 99 hemi head, or an AJ. My real focus (if I have one) was to take the factory style and size components available and go as far as I could on cubes, then make it run on a pump fuel.

I really appreciate your comments and the work you did with your motors, it's nice to know there are other people out there with the same mind set, who aren't afraid to try something others won't.

Comment

Yep Darren, that was one heck of a show in Springfield. I still remember the trailer, behind the dyno, shaking around during your runs. But I too had to run the air cleaner and hood after tuning without either the day before. I wish that was the only reason the 500" wedge finished 260HP behind you! 1,261HP! Gads, that sounded so sweet!

Comment

I saw this car at the HR Pump Gas Drags a couple of years back and the whole car is incredible from front to rear!! Seems like it ran 8.80's then?

Comment

Working...
                X