Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Destination: Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry

Re: Gearhead Destination: Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry

I went there with a group in the late-'90s, it is an incredible place. I spent so much time looking over that 727 the rest of the people abandoned me. Definitely an all-day activity.

Comment

Went there a couple months ago. You need 4 hrs minimum to go through there. the exhibits are amazing, but i think they could use more race car stuff.

Comment

I've never been there myself.
        If you go to the Transportation Exhibit on the web site you'll see the Spirit of America Sonic I,Craig Breedloves first LS car.That is the car that still has the record for the worlds longest skid marks.
        It's also the car my dad helped Craig build in his parents garage,when it was first built it didn't have the vertical tail, that was added in 1963 or 64.

It's also the car that generated a dept owed to my mom, for over 45 years.The dept about 5 lbs of fried chicken my mom made to feed the crew working on the car! Craig said I'll pay you back,I'm a little short now.
        Anyway they still laugh about it.

Comment

I watched that 727 jet land on a very small airstrip. They closed down Lake Shore Drive and towed it into the parking lot to cut it up for the display. They also have a great model railroad display. I haven't been there in a few years but its definitley worth going to. FYI parkig is now $17.00!

Comment

I went there back in 81'. Have been trying to get back. It was cool back then and I'm sure just as cool now.
            OH YEAH
            Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Hotel rooms are never cheap in Chicago. Unless its in a neighborhood you shouldn't be staying in. The museum is worth a trip.

Comment

I lived outside of Chicago from 79 to 81. If I remember right...parking was free and admission was $3. I used to go whenever I could. It is an awsome place. I once saw a 73 impala stripped out and sitting on 4 Coca-Cola bottles in the far end of the parking lot. no BS. really. My sister still lives close and takes her twins to it. She says it is much nicer now than it was back then... That WWII sub was always my favorite.

Hey Brian - have ya been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton? SR-71, YF-22, F-117, B-29 hanging from the ceiling - Apollo Capsules. Atom Bombs, Bi-planes and cruise missles and MIG's. and an Imax theater......Lots of military vehicles of every type and generation....Every gearhead should go before they die....
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Can't say that I have been....sounds like a must see!

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The U 505 rocks! You can walk through it now. No way I would want to spend any time in it under water!

Comment

My daughter jus asked me tonight if I wanted to be a chaporone for they're field trip in two months......excellent museum!

Comment

Score!

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                        X