Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chadmouth: Grandpas Rule!

Re: Chadmouth: Grandpas Rule!

Your Granfather sounds like someone I'd really like to know.
    Unfortunately - both of my grandfathers past away long before I could talk intelligently about anything mechanical. I really would have loved to talk with my Dad's father who rebuilt carburetors in a garage during the depression to make ends meet, then went on to sell Chevrolet's in the 50's.

Chad - cherish the time you have with him - call him often and see him whenever practical - I'll be living vicariously through you... which reminds me- I should call my great Uncle in Texas - the only other car guy in the family.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Great one Chad....

It reminds me of a story about my grandpa...

My grandpa has owned a 70' Impala SS convertible as long as I have been around. It is red with a black vinyl interior and rally wheels and it hauls some serious ass.

About 15 years ago he was in the homecoming parade (as he was every year), driving with the top down and the homecoming queen sitting on the back deck. The parade was moving at about 0 miles an hour, and when grandpa got in front of where we were sitting he decided that he was going to have a little fun. He put the brake pedal down and laid on the gas.

He fried the tires until the entire parade was fogged out. It was awesome. To this day I have never seen a burnout that massive.

Not surprisingly the officials and the homecoming queen were not amused. :o

He still drives it a couple times a year at 80 years old. He makes every drive count too, making sure to "clean the carbon out" by flooring it until he hits about 110 mph......Those are some of the best memories I have.

As a farmer he always fixed anything and everything that broke himself. That was one of the most valuable lessons I have learned in my life. Don't be afraid to try to fix anything, cause most of the time if you try hard enough and keep learning, you can fix everything.

Here is to you Grandpa Lyle. I love you.

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Good stuff guys.

Cherish the time you have left with them....because believe me, it sucks when they're gone.

Comment

The Chev bumper on the Stude is brilliant. Grandma looks like she's doin' OK...

Comment

Grandma is doing great too. They have a good time together and she's always up for a ride in the truck.

The front bumper was one of the sticking points on the truck. Gpa looked at all kinds of them, and I swore that the bumper off my '92 Chevy would be perfect. After some measuring, and lots of discussion, we ended up at the swap meet buying one with fog lights in it. He wanted those bad, and it fits like a glove. Gpa made a little valance panel to go behind it, and then had a local guy put a bead around it so it would be stiff. It's perfect, and I have never seen another Stude with it. I'm glad you guys like the story.
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

dude that is awesome!!!!!
              i had a small problem at work and have to have minor surgery Monday and my mom and wife are on face book and she {mom}wrote to the wife telling her how my dad and grandpa is were i get my though proses and such from {think they call it stubborn} but this comment had me thinking of them {grand pa and dad} then i read Ur blog and it is all good and yes that Gen. did take chances and got things done and it makes me happy that they still are . hang with him and Ur dad as much as you can i can tell you i lost both mine and it sucks but the good thoughts and story's hold me through it and others story's i have sat with older guys from that generation and just talked with them the story's and knowledge it great your lucky and he seems like a cool guy grams to for putting up with him lol...

Comment

Great story! Your very fortunate to have them in your life.

Comment

Awesome story Chad! Thanks for sharing it with us.
                  You are very lucky!
                  Most of us dont have grandparents any more, much less really cool ones.

I hope to see you and your dad on Drag Week this year.

Comment

Another great story Chad. Glad to see you back on a regular basis. We all need to do our best to make sure our children and grandchildren remember us in the same light that you remember your gradfather in.

Comment

thanks for a nice kickoff to the weekend ;D
                      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Great story! That's what makes this place great.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Chad,thank you.Today is bittersweet for me as its my birthday and 15 years ago on this day my Grandpa passed away.He was the one into cars.My dad isnt.One of my best memories was driving him on a road trip and following my dad.We got seperated and I had to run it through the gears to catch up.Each gear change Id see his 87 year old head jerk back and then the smile.My dad wanted to kick my ass but Gpa came to the rescue.He told my dad"You just want to get there.Don and I want to get there as fast as we can and look good".Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow.Im going visit the cematary tomorrow and do some burnouts as I leave.He would have loved the "Cross thread" comment ;D

Comment

Great story Chad . Grandpas do rule and they also like to buy the odd round too .

Comment

Great story Chad! Thanks!

Growing up I was always hanging out on my grampa's farm (we lived next door), and I can always remember him telling me stories of old cars that he used to have, he especially loved his old DeSoto, with the "Firedome" V8. He would tell me how fast that old car was and how good it ran.

Later on, when I was a teenager, he would get on my case for dragging home old junk to work on, and for spending money on trucks and dirt bikes. He would tell me how I need to invest my money and put it into savings... I would just sluff it off as him being an old scrooge who was too old to have any fun.

Now that I'm in my 20's, and my grampa is semi-retired (he owns a realty franchise), he's having fun spending that money that he saved up all his life. He now has 4 Mercedes Benz's in his collection, and is a year and a half into restoration of a 1958 Mercedes 178 that (ironically) I hauled home for him after he drug it out of an old barn. It had a seized motor, lots of rust, and hadn't been on the road in 35 years, but to him it was golden. He is having a shop do the resto (his ailling body and bad knees prevent him from doing the work himself), and they expect to have it done within the next month. Everyone told him he was crazy when he drug that old Mercedes out of the barn... everyone except me... I get it.
                              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
                              X