Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barnstormin': And This Is Normal To You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': And This Is Normal To You?

Re: Barnstormin': And This Is Normal To You?

They made Yugo's in 1985?!?!?

This certainly was one of my more nutty ideas that make my friends and family shake their heads. Other's included a solo two week drive from SoCal to Myrtle Beach, SC, cramming a Buick 455 in the Skylark (I know you guys understand that one) and buying a one way plane ticket to buy a '67 T-bird and drive it 800 miles home with nothing more than an internet picture of it. Fun stuff.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My wife said the same thing when I drove 850 miles to stay at your house last August. It was your kindness and help that helped get me the Chevelle I have been dreaming about for a long time. It is that mentality, the fact that you did not think twice to help me, that is inspiring to others....myself included.

This website is truly filled with generous, kind, and great people. It has been a wonderful ride so far and I am looking forward to where it is headed.

Kudos to all of you who helped with the Red Ball, donated to the Forum Project, or donated/helped to others...It is that kind of "change" that this country truly needs.

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

You know what else is cool, in addition to all youse guys?

THIS barn is gonna have a nice big fat rumpity CAM in it. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

cant wait to hear it.
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Nice article Brian.

Comment

This is normal to me...and we still do barns, sort of...they're garages, and the only things we do is help with the concrete slab, and the trusses

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm thinking that we as a group can keep this kind of helping one another going in other ways. When David, Turk, and Chad were prepping the So-Al Special for Bonneville, others, including myself, volunteered to help out. For me, I wasn't wanting anything in return. I just felt I should do what I could to ease the workload burden on friends with a goal. I really didn't do much in the way of actually getting in running, but was glad I could help out. Seeing fellow car junkies get to the salt was more payment to me than cash.

My idea is this. We can follow the tradition of a barn raising. Whether it's helping a fellow junkie raise a new shop, or helping that person install an engine, do rust repair, or whatever. We are a community, just like many small towns across our country. Maybe we can bring back more of what once made our country great.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Great words Brian. As a member of the Red Ball Express relay team, I am proud and happy to have been involved. As a member of the "weirdos", I am happy to have been able to do something that makes the "regular" folks look at us and wonder why.

Brian's words make me think of something I have said for years. While we as a society look at the news and think everything is bad, and nobody does good, it is ventures like this that prove people are good. In general, you can still go to your neighbor and borrow a cup of sugar or quart of oil. America was built, along with it's barns, by doers.

We are the doers.

Congrats to all. Now get out there on the ice and make us proud Brian.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

This place is completely unique in my experience in that it is a true community. This place to me is the delivery on the promise of the internet-bringing people together to further and enrich themselves, and this shared adventure really brings it to the fore. It brought out the best in people-genuine good will-and it is really satisfying to me to have been able to participate in it. It's a rare thing.

Not to get all mushy or anything, just sayin'.

Comment

Great words .........a true community.......Maybe we can bring back more of what once made our country great..........
                      This website is truly filled with generous, kind, and great people........

Brian I'm not getting political but maybe you should have been up on that podium in front of the world last night. The community works together but always needs a figure to guide and provide inspiration. I'm not sure "The other guy" is appropriate any more. I think a torch has been past.

Steve
                      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Great comparision between the Red Ball Javelin deal and old fashion barn rasings. I think Chad also has hit the nail on the head with the idea that in reality things like this, maybe on a smaller scale for the most part, are not all that unusual. We just don't hear about them. A couple of examples would include the incredible response to my post about my health problems, both on and off of the forum and the committe my wife works with at church at Thanksgiveing that feeds over 1500 people who other wise would not have a real Thanksgiving meal. Folks do care about one another, unfortunately it is not as newsworther as the bad junk.

Now if there are barnrasings still in New England, are you going to have a garage raising or does that have to wait for warm weather? Good deal Brian thanks for the excellent and heart warming piece.

Comment

Great Blog.

Things like this is what will keep the car hobby alive. It is getting expensive, so we need to be able help each other as much as we can.

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Good job as usual on he blog. It was my pleasure to help out.
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I felt low as hell when I couldn't make it to Memphis to cheer DF and Chad on at the LSX Shootout....there truly was no way I could make it, but knowing that those 2 had busted their asses to make that deal work........and the open house party for the "old site"(then again, being that far away kinda prevented that)

I wasn't gonna pass on an opportunity to "get in the game"...and am going to endeavor to make more of these crazy events happen..anytime you guys need me, just holler.....Lohnes, you have my phone #.

Tiresmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X