X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Freak of the Week: Bill Dunlap's A/Fuel Dragster

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: Bill Dunlap's A/Fuel Dragster

Do I spy front brakes on that rail?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Yessah!

Good eyes!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Interesting -
        Maybe the concept is getting some ballast over the front to counteract blow-overs and, as noted, maybe support front brakes. I wonder if the idea is that if can be made to work maybe they can run the full track more safely. I agree that this is the kind of innovation that made America great (no offense to our off-shore Junkies). Sometimes this stuff works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it takes a while to hone it to perfection. Remember that rear-engine diggers were thought for years to be unworkable.

Dan

Comment

It's a freak alright - but looks like a killer bracket digger concept vehicle. If you like riding in the front car of the roller coaster, this digger's for you! :D

Comment

It does look like weight distribution would bebetter, plus it gets the driver further from the engine in any trouble, but it doesn't look as clean aero wise. It should be interesting to see what kind of numbers he can get out of it.

Comment

Hopefully Scott (A/Fuel) chimes in on this.

My theory is that this thing will plant the rear tires better because when the chassis pitches up and arches in the middle, it is really going to drive those tires into the track directly as opposed to the whole drivers' compartment as well.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Here's my theory on it....

This thing would be KILLER in Top Dragster competition, which is basically an ultra quick bracket race format. Sitting on top of the front axle with front brakes on the car, this thing is going to be a monster at the finish line. If he can find even one iota of consistency, he will be unbeatable at the stripe.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I thought the same thing Ron. It's really a strange beast to look at up close. There are so many Funny Car elements to it too. The chassis structure is very much like a Funny Car ahead of the engine, until it gets up to the cockpit. But then it has funny car style front arms, the aforementioned brakes, and of course the wheel and tire combo.

I give them major kudos for using old school Centerlines out back too.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Minor correction: The chassis builder is Robert Stirling, not Sterling.

Comment

I'm not digging it. It doesn't seem like it would be as safe as a conventional dragster if you have a frontal or side-on impact with the wall. Also, I think coming down from a wheel stand would probably crush your spine. Being so far forward, I'd think it would be harder to feel what the car is doing, and maybe harder to keep it straight. For traction, I'd think you would want as much weight as possible over the back tires.

I remember seeing a shorty bracket dragster in SS & DI back in the 80's, but I don't think it really caught on.

Comment

I don't think I like it. Is this the same Bill Dunlap of "Captain Crazy" Funny Car fame?
                        Also, who was it that raced a really short Top Fueler in the 80's? It was from Illinois, I seem to recall Lil John Buttera built it.
                        Had a small wing, the whole car was supposed to give it downforce.

Comment

Got room for a couple more motors...could be the longest Freight Train built ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Silver68RT
                            I'm not digging it. It doesn't seem like it would be as safe as a conventional dragster if you have a frontal or side-on impact with the wall. Also, I think coming down from a wheel stand would probably crush your spine. Being so far forward, I'd think it would be harder to feel what the car is doing, and maybe harder to keep it straight. For traction, I'd think you would want as much weight as possible over the back tires.

I remember seeing a shorty bracket dragster in SS & DI back in the 80's, but I don't think it really caught on.
                            The weight doesn't need to be over the tires except for the initial hook. The reason dragsters have gotten longer and longer (until NHRA said NO MORE) is because the weight hanging out there is a lever and puts massive amounts of force down on those rear tires. Some teams have played with engine placement front to back, but not by more than a few inches.
                            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Sitting in front of the motor the driver has a reference, the long body, as to how straight the car is going.
                              If the rear end were to start going left or right for this front mounted driver he would?nt know until it passed him.
                              :o

Comment

Working...
                              X