Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vintage Race Car of the Week: The Cheetah

This is a copy of a post of mine from last year:

253 FreiburgersJunkyard / General Discussion / Re: Crimes You've Committed... on: November 03, 2008, 12:12:32 PM
    In my early 20s I was interested in kit cars...an old '60s Fiberfab "Jamaican" body (small but very pretty) came along but I didn't have the $400...then an aquaintance (this was 1982) who once worked for a high-perf outfit in Eagle Rock CA said he had this funky old 'glass body in his back yard I might like. $100. I went down one night and checked it out but thought it was ugly and passed. Freaky stuff, it was designed for a Corvette IRS and no driveshaft, the tailshaft of the trans hooked right to the diff u-joint. The seating position was tight against the rr axles. The windshield was rivited-on clear plastic. It bugged me later that I didn't just pick it up on general principle 'cause it did have it's cool aspects.

As it later turned out, this would have been one of the original 1964 Bill Thomas Cheetahs. 2 built in aluminum and between 16 and 23 in fiberglass. The Cheetah was a Chevrolet-backed program to compete with Shelby Cobras and won 11 SCCA Sports/Modified races by the end of '64, when Chev pulled the plug. Any original would be golden now...but oh well. Like the scrawny geeky girl with a crush on you but you passed on in high school, 'cause you were STUPID... [sheepish grin here]

Comment

Damn, that would have been a hell of a score.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I remember that story, it's painful. :D

Comment

I always wondered what them were.
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I would love to see one made with todays available underpinnings.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
              That link is going to get me in trouble one of these days with how to make a proto-type body using plywood !

Comment

Working...
              X