Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': The Glory of Slow

Cool story, Brian.

As for enjoyable slow rides, does my V6 '06 Mustang count?

Comment

My friends 55' Chevy car hauler. It tops out at about 60mph.

Thing has 5.83:1 gears in the two speed rear and a granny low four speed. The 454 really is only happy below 3000rpm though so that limits it to about 60. But I am sure that you could load it up (we had my 5000lb exploder in tha back - couldn't tell it was there) and pull a two car trailer up the side of a mountain.

Neat truck.

Comment

My most memerable road trip was with my dad and another guy . We were hauling crates of all our belongings to MIami from around Lexington , Ky . Dad had borrowed a F-600 from a friend . We made it there and back but , i=on the way down we had a front blowout at about 60-65 ! The guy driving pulled a mucle in his are keeping the thing from charging thru the median on I - 65 south (ofcourse) . Had the 4-speed and the 2-speed rear. It was a blast ! Later learned how to drive one because our church had one in bus form. Not going to talk about our other bus that they changed the rear end for interstate travel except on flat land that I-H with a Clark 5-speed would haul !

Comment

Brian, you hit the nail on the head with this one. This could be the story of my childhood, just replace the F-600 flatbed with a 1960 Brockway Wreaker. My Mom and Dad divorced when I was 7 and I spent many a Saturday morning watching out the window for the Dad and the big Brock' to come around the corner to pick me up for the weekend( usually heard it first anyway). Mom would whoa me up at the porch steps for a kiss good bye. The Brock' had a 250 Cummins, 10 speed and an Eaton 2 speed rear, she do about 62 empty at full song but, loaded she lacked alittle. Dad had newer, faster, more powerful Wreckers but, the Brock' was his first, therefore his favorite and that was good enough for me. As a kid, how I wished the trip would last forever. Now, when I have to drive big trucks at work, I can't wait for the trip to be over. The world did seem to go by alittle slower when you were a kid. My son Cam is a gearhead as I was as a kid, in a moment of reflection I realized that he had never rode in a BIG truck with me as I did with Dad and Grandpa, he replied " did they ever do a wicked smokey burnout with their cars like you do with me, Dad?". I guess it doesn't matter the speed at which you travel, its with who and how you get there that counts!! ;D ;D ;D P.S Brian, is that granp's truck in the picture, I looks like a Marrmon-Herrington 4x4?
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Brings back memories of driving a tractor every time we visited my great uncle who lived in Long Island, Kansas.
            When I was real small he took me for rides on his lap. I remember when I was 16 and hadn't seen him for a couple of years. I was looking forward to my traditional tractor ride. He looked at me and said I was old enough to drive it for myself. I got up on that Farmall and drove it off. What a great feeling.

Thanks for another great feel good story. It sorta makes you warm all over.....

Comment

Working...
            X