Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane Cams Reportedly Shut Down

Re: Crane Cams Reportedly Shut Down

Thats tough to swallow, industry leaders shutting down for whatever reason. I wish these people the best and hope they can find jobs.
    Jerry

Comment

It has been a long time since Crane Cams was an industry leader, but 40 years ago Crane Cams was THE Cam.

Comment

Chad, sorry to be the one to tell you, but the plant parking lot is empty ...

:P

Comment

Sorry there podium finish!!!
          Crane has been industry leader in many ways,I know Comp Cams has come along,but Crane has been there.
          I will sign my name
          American Consumer and Vendor!
          Jerry A. Rose
          RealSteelFreak

Comment

cue REM:

"...it's the end of the world as we know it..............."

Comment

[quote=Podium Finish ]
              It has been a long time since Crane Cams was an industry leader, but 40 years ago Crane Cams was THE Cam.
              /quote]
              While it may have been awhile since they were The industry leader, it's interesting to note that comp, and
              untold others purchased their blanks from Crane. I see comps supposedly got the "Gold" standard now, as
              well. (Rocker arms)

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak
                Sorry there podium finish!!!
                Crane has been industry leader in many ways,I know Comp Cams has come along,but Crane has been there.
                I will sign my name
                American Consumer and Vendor!
                Jerry A. Rose
                RealSteelFreak
                Sorry there Real,

My point wasn't that Crane was a huge supplier of cam blanks, it was that Crane Cams was at one time (1960s & 1970s) it was the cam to win races with, period. Not the place for competitors buying cam blanks as it became famous for lately.

Name the last time a Crane Cam engine won any kind of eliminator class. I am not a fan of Comp Cams, I don't really care, my last cam was an ISKY.

Thank you for your time. I will sign my name
                Rodney Addison

Comment

[quote=ss427 ]
                  Originally posted by Podium Finish
                  /quote]
                  While it may have been awhile since they were The industry leader, it's interesting to note that comp, and
                  untold others purchased their blanks from Crane. I see comps supposedly got the "Gold" standard now, as
                  well. (Rocker arms)
                  My Comp Cam that they ground for me blank came from Crane. Matt Summerfield at Comp kept me very informed on the progress and where he got stuff. Although, this cam was the second they ground for as the first did not pass inspection.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Crane Cams says it plans to reopen after restructuring
                    By GREG MIGLIORE
                    A picture of Crane Cams says it could reopen in 30 days.
                    Crane Cams says it could reopen in 30 days.Well-known cam shafts company Crane Cams shut down Feb. 24 for restructuring but says it plans to reopen, likely sometime in March.

All of the company?s 280 workers were laid off, though about 25 remain to work on military contracts. The closure was in response to the global economic problems, said vice president Steve Leva. He said the Daytona Beach, Fla., company planned to reopen in as soon as a week, or it may take up to 30 days.

Crane?s parts have become synonymous with performance and have been used by A. J. Foyt, the Wood Brothers, Bill Elliott, Richard Petty and many other well-known drivers.

The 56-year-old company first made a splash at the 1961 NHRA nationals, when a dragster using Crane roller cams was piloted by ?Sneaky? Pete Robinson to the Top Eliminator award, breaking records and upsetting more-established competitors in the process.

Robinson?s success helped the company gain recognition throughout the 1960s as racing grew and the Detroit automakers thrived.

In late 2006, Crane was acquired by Mikronite Technologies Group Inc., and Leva said $18 million has been invested in equipment since the acquisition.

Earlier this week, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported that Crane was closing, though more details were not available at that time.

Comment

Working...
                    X