• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars and Skateboards Go Together

Re: Cars and Skateboards Go Together

On the money.

Comment

Skateboards are loved by all except mothers and insurance companies. Skateboarding is not a crime - but me trying to ride one is always was.

Comment

The day i got my license my friends, six of us and somtimes more, and i would pile into my 71 chevelle bench seat 307 grandma special and go find skate spots all over LA

Comment

100% agreed !
          .. but my first engineering was on tricycles then bicycles, making them loud (clothes pin and playing cards, etc.).
          It was not until around 9-years old, that I constructed my first skateboard, homemade of course, using my sisters steel wheeled skates and a plank of 6 x 1/2 board.

The first time I took to flight, when the wheel hit a pebble was terrifying (and the skinned knees hurt like hell).
          .. can you remember iodine ?

Comment

Skateboards and Cars don't go together when the kid on the skateboard doesn't know what he's doing and the skateboard goes flying into the nice paint job on your 68 Torino and puts a dent in the side of the car. The kids answer was "it's only an old car". :

Comment

My last board was made of aluminum. It also had Powell/ Peralta trucks and wheels. The only problem with an aluminum board was dragging the tail to make turns and such caused the back of the board to become knife edged. That caused some serious cuts and bruises if I lost it and I got hit my the board. I was more worried about hit by the board in a wipe out than getting road rash.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RyanWalker
                On the money.
                x2 My brother and I had skateboards growing up, I never got any better, but he went on to carry one around the world with him. There are definately those who hot rod them.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Now that ya bring it up... My first build was my skateboard also.....1971. I was 10. And it was a piece of 2x4 pine with my sisters clamp-on skate. I hack sawed it in two pounded the edges flat and nailed the two halves to the bottom of that 2x4. yeah...steering was an issue. as were SMALL rocks. mom took it away after the second hospital visit. Dad found it and gave it back. Dad never liked me much.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I am half embarrassed to admit that I thought the thrasher magazine monsters were original to them. Never even knew Roth existed until a really cool art teacher (Mr Lynch drove a 66 mustang) enlightened me. I still skate on a very rare occasion.

Steve
                    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Nice read Loren. I was a sk8r growing up with a little BMX/Freestyle tossed in for good measure. Never was very good at the bike and was much better at the board. Curbs made good impromptu grind rails. I broke my favorite Vision board grinding down a curb. That sucked. My son skates now and he's way better than I ever thought about being. He's an ollie master.

Comment

Did some boardin' as a kid in the '80's....that Valterra took more abuse than I'd ever thought imaginable.

Wasn't as hard-core as some, but did enough to get the bruises/rash/concussions...good read!

Comment

Comment

I would have to agree with you atleast in socal. Jan&Dean said so. For those to young to know they were a band the was popular about the same time the Beach Boys. Now I'm starting to doubt myself on them singing it. But, hey if the beach boys sang it Jan & Dean wrote it.Their carear took a big hit when one crashed his vette running it like he stole it .Myself I was more into racing jumping and riding wheelies on my Schwinn Pea Picker ( Orange version of the Orange Crate ) The sprung long four tube fork bike idea was gotten from a tube frame dragster of the same name.

Comment

As I matured, I transitioned from trick boards to downhill longboards in an attempt to keep my skin 'n bones somewhat intact. Here is a pic of my Sector 9 board I got in Australia. A friend of mine was a manager of a parking garage company and on Sunday's when the car park was closed, we'd take the elevator (lift) to the top floor and skate down the 10 levels to the bottom and then ride back up and do it again. Awesome, since the car parks always had the real smooth concrete with a clear sealer on them. Just bitchin' !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X