Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Destination: Pikes Peak Highway

Re: Gearhead Destination: Pikes Peak Highway

Geez, I drove up there in a Corvair Spyder in 1966. Free!
    Great drive, and probably worth the toll.
    Ed.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

A friend and I drove his '75 Lemans up there - what an adventure - of course we flipped the air cleaner lid over so she'd be able to breathe that thin air a bit better.... thankfully out of college for the summer we were there during a slow week and had the place mostly to ourselves... he gave that pontiac 350 about all she could take running up that hill the powerslides were stupendous! Thankfully Johnny Law didn't witness any of our shenanigans...

Let me tell you what - talk about a change of season - just drive up that mountain! We were in shorts and tshirts with the windows down at the bottom - and freezing our tails off with the heat on at the top!

Tremendous views - way cool - if you are within a few hours of it and can spare the time - make the run - you won't regret it!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The rental companies in COS (about 15 miles west up HWY 24) warn you straight up not to take their rentals up - if they break - you pay. Manitou Springs is a cool town - you can catch the Cog railway going up there also -
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

I've been there when I was about 9 y/o. We stopped there on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park. I don't remember much about it. One of my Dad's friends who lived in Westminster, CO had a fantastic view of the Peak from the bedroom they always stuck me in. Dad drove up there hauling a 19 foot trailer behind our 73 Caddy Coupe. It didn't have any problem going up. Brakes got hot coming down.

My Grandparents drove there for their honeymoon in 1925 from Independence, MO. They drove in Grandpa's 1917 Model T Touring Sedan. He always talked about driving to the top, but had drive most of it in reverse because the gravity flow gas tank (no fuel pump then) wouldn't flow on that steep of a road. He said it was 17 miles in reverse. I imagine with the gearing in Model T's, it probably took most of the day to get up there.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I will get there one day soon. It is on my bucket list.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

IIRC, the money covers the cost of road maintenance, trash pickup, and other services, which isn't too bad in my book. I used to make that run twice a day in '00 working at the tourist trap on top, every day a new part of the road scared the shit out of me. GM and Ford do brake testing there too (I wonder who volunteers for that job?), I got to see them testing Buick Rendevous about a year before they sold 'em. And NOTHING beats the view from the top on a clear day. You can see the Springs, Pueblo, and near nighttime, Denver.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I drove up this mountain 18 yrs ago. We were in a rental Ford 15 passenger van. Two familys five kids total .Six counting the one we had just started that no one knew about except us. I hate to admitt this but pretty near the top( this pic that goes with the thread looks like the place) I did about a 15 point turn around and made a about face. I was shaking so bad I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sufficiantly hold the brake down to get us back down. I will get to the top one day. Maybe in the GTA but proboby the narrow gage train ! I hear some people make alot of money driving other peoples cars down.

Comment

I've started to consider taking the Skylark there when it's up and running good. Think low gears will help going back down? I'm sure the 12" rotors up front and vented disc's in the back will help.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

No matter what, if you do make it to the top, expect a 15-30 min. cooldown halfway down the bottom. That way you and your car don't pull a Wile E. Coyote on the way down.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                    X