Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lohnes Wreck Files: Wheelstander Fail

Re: The Lohnes Wreck Files: Wheelstander Fail

I remember the last time I went to an NHRA event at Sears Point there was a Ford Ranger wheel stander done up like a little fire truck. It even emmitted a cinnamon smell as it went by. His first pass went great against the Jolly Rancher sponsored wheel stander. The crowd went wild. On his second pass, I guess the crowd cheering got him excited and he decided to out do the Jolly Rancher truck. He went the whole length of the track wheels up. Then he kept going into the shut down area with the wheels up. There are two turnouts at Sears Point to the right, then you end up in a hard left onto the road course. After he passed the first turn out with the wheels up I guess he decided to left off, but he came down just as he passed the second turnout. He then tried to slow down enough to make the turn onto the road course. He ended up on his roof in the grass chasing the NHRA officials out of the way as he wiped out. It was definitely an ego driven decision that cost him a wrecked truck.

After they cleaned up that mess the jet dragsters lined up. They like to rev their engines on the starting line, then letting off, the engines pop. The third pop blew out the windows in the tower. (That ever happen to you, Brian?) When they left the line, the flame caught the pedestrian bridge on fire. Then they caused small grass fires the whole way down the track. Thank goodness the fire marshal cleared the bridge of people before letting them run. The fire brigade had their work cut out for them to put out the fires. A couple guys dumped their cooler water on a few of the small grass fires to douse them.

It was not a good day for exhibition cars. I'm sure the promoter was downing ant-acid like skittles that day.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It's funny how people don't plan or design some things for a worse case scenerio. Who'd a thunk a huge weight in the back of the truck could come loose in the event the truck crashed : Another cool write up Brian, pretty funny it's up for sale using the picture from the run it wrecked in.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Glad it was just ego and metal that were hurt... great stories Brian, keep them up.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Brian your an idiot, That truck was wrecked back then your right. The one on racingjunk is a new truck and that is not a pic of the pass when it crashed. Look at the front of the truck in the picture that you say was taken just before its crash and you will see it has a 2003 body, that would be tuff since it was wrecked in 98 or 99 i think. The picture you seen in the ad with the back tires off the ground was at redline raceway outside of Dallas Texas. I was driving it for my first time,
          There is a video of that run on youtube, i froze the video and took the pic that you claim was when it crashed. I am selling the truck and have a perspective buyer that seen what you wrote and now thinks it was crashed this year and im hiding things from him. Try and get your facts straight before you try to be writer, all the rest of them do! Like maybe that the truck was rebuild and run for 4 years profesionally after that.

Comment

Well, Brian - your link doesn't work.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by lil fire truck
              Brian your an idiot, That truck was wrecked back then your right. The one on racingjunk is a new truck and that is not a pic of the pass when it crashed. Look at the front of the truck in the picture that you say was taken just before its crash and you will see it has a 2003 body, that would be tuff since it was wrecked in 98 or 99 i think. The picture you seen in the ad with the back tires off the ground was at redline raceway outside of Dallas Texas. I was driving it for my first time,
              There is a video of that run on youtube, i froze the video and took the pic that you claim was when it crashed. I am selling the truck and have a perspective buyer that seen what you wrote and now thinks it was crashed this year and im hiding things from him. Try and get your facts straight before you try to be writer, all the rest of them do! Like maybe that the truck was rebuild and run for 4 years profesionally after that.
              Hey pal,

#1 that's not a 2003 front end on his picture. Try again.
              #2 Any mistake Brian made, is about 1/1000 as "idiotic" as the design and driver talents involved here. Lucky your junk didn't kill anyone..
              #3 from a racer/tuner perspective, so far Brian and Chad are the MOST ACCURATE of any automotive online or print media I've ever worked with, and that is a lot. Don't *even* try to get on here and tell us that "other writers get their facts straight" - you andyour truck haven't exactly been featured in a lot of major magazines...

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by lil fire truck
                Welcome the site.

1.) Why would the guy think the truck crashed this year when I wrote

While announcing an IHRA National event a few years ago,
                2.) The lead photo of the story was shot at New England Dragway, where the wreck occurred, note the Dodge dealers sign that can be seen on the wall and the blue paint to the ouside of the lanes. Also the truck crashed while running the left lane and it is clearly in the left lane in this photo.

The picture in the blog item is the photo I am talking about, hence the reference to the "lead photo". That photo is certainly not a photo-capture of a you tube video.

Look at the front of the truck in the picture that you say was taken just before its crash and you will see it has a 2003 body, that would be tuff since it was wrecked in 98 or 99 i think.
                3.) I reference in the end of the item the fact that the truck is sporting a new front end and has been changed in a few different ways.

Thanks for reading,

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                X