• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker! IHRA Drops Sanction of Two Former National Event Facilities

Re: Shocker! IHRA Drops Sanction of Two Former National Event Facilities

the guy who owns IHRA decided this?

Comment

So is Milan now the worlds nicest "outlaw" track? Very stupid of IHRA not to keep these tracks major area's that can get NITRO cars to the public.

Comment

Milan says they will be announcing their new sanction next week. Any ideas who?

Comment

I heard maybe ADRL? I guess we will find out next week.
          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

If it's ADRL they will be the very first one.

My guess is that they'll be an NHRA track. That place can host a divisional.

Once I confirm the reason they were dropped, we'll move the story forward, but right now it's rumors.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I wonder if this a play to get the tracks to pay up? It could backfire on the IHRA and they will end up losing more tracks and fans. I used to be a big NHRA fan but got tired of them so I switched to IHRA. Since San Antonio is my local track I am not happy about this. If this kills the track I will be a IHRA hater for life...

Comment

OK, thread hijack.

I understand that one of the big attractions of santioned status for tracks has to do with insurance coverage.

But, what is the process for getting sanctioned? And what violations lead to losing same?

I walked the length of the local track last week (it's still closed with lots of snow on the ground) and I was shocked at the poor condition of the surface between the 330 foot and eighth mile, as well as in the shut down area. Do the sanctioning bodies send people to walk the tracks prior to season start to make sure the surface and shut down area meets a min std? What are other criteria?

And can a track be de-sanctioned (is that a word?) for simply pissing off IHRA, NHRA or ADRL? Or does it have to be for something substantive and contractual?

Sorry about all the questions, but these are things I've never really considered until this thread started.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
                  But, what is the process for getting sanctioned? And what violations lead to losing same?

I walked the length of the local track last week (it's still closed with lots of snow on the ground) and I was shocked at the poor condition of the surface between the 330 foot and eighth mile, as well as in the shut down area. Do the sanctioning bodies send people to walk the tracks prior to season start to make sure the surface and shut down area meets a min std? What are other criteria?

And can a track be de-sanctioned (is that a word?) for simply pissing off IHRA, NHRA or ADRL? Or does it have to be for something substantive and contractual?

Sorry about all the questions, but these are things I've never really considered until this thread started.
                  The process starts with the track contacting the org. that they want to sanction with. Right now it's either IHRA or NHRA. The ADRL does not currently sanction race tracks. I'm thinking that somewhere down the line (maybe sooner than later) they will get into that game.

In terms of violations?

You can fail your insurance company safety audit where they check out the seating areas and stuff like that. If you have bleachers that are out of code and continue to use them or refuse to upgrade them to meet code, you can put yourself at risk. Also doing stuff that clearly violated the rule book, let's say you have a night of rocket cars, which are banned by both IHRA and NHRA, you can kiss it goodbye as well.

No one walks the physical track looking at the asphalt. The insurance company may pay attention to the walls and stuff, but the only people in charge of the physical track are the people running the facility.

A track can be desanctioned by simply pissing the sanctioning body off. The issues with San Antonio and Milan (so I have been told thus far) both revolved around money that was due and never paid. The NHRA recently theatened to pull the sanction of Houston because it hosted an ADRL race where a nitro fueled pro mod was going to run. Would they have pulled it from one of their national event tracks? Who knows, but the racers decided to comply with the NHRA fiat on the subject and the storm settled.

Tracks sign contracts with the sanctioning bodies or "sanctioning agreements" those agreements are contingent on the rule book being followed and them complying with all existing insurance regulations.

The other benefit of the sanctioning stuff is various programs put on by the sanctioning bodies, the ability for a track to hose divisional and national events (if they meet the standards) the individual racer insurance policy that they each carry (if you are injured at an event they are putting on i think you have $500,000 coverage on them). You also get to reap the benefits of name association and a large support staff to help you market your track, advertise, yadda, yadda.

Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian, that's answered all my questions. We're all eager to hear more about what's going down with Milan and San Antonio when the news breaks. From what I saw on Pinks All Out, Milan appears to be a first-rate facility.
                    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

They are both good tracks.

Interestingly, San Antonio has a pissed off old farmer off the end of the shut down who acutally came out with a shotgun the first year IHRA raced there and a car went through the sand trap onto his land. San Antonio has more problems as well. An illegal gambling facility on the grounds of the track was raided some time ago. IHRA's 764,000 suit is most likely the big driver in that decision.

The Milan deal is a little more murky although it too is financially driven so I have been informed thus far.

Brian

Comment

the ahra went down in flames when the guy died
                        before wally died , he put a real suit in charge
                        we shall see how that works out long term
                        IHRA is back to one man rule - carrier had done a good job with the innovations

Comment

Spidey, IHRA is owned by Feld Entertainment, the same company that owns Barnum and Bailey Circus.

It's certinaly not one man rule.

Brian

Comment

Who said the AHRA is dead? Check out the Dragstrip in Spokane, WA and see who their santioning body is. It looks alive and well to me. Maybe it's copywrite infringement??

What needs to happen is there needs to be a santioning body that really cares about the racers, the fans and their wallet, in that order.

I don't blame the IHRA for doing what they did and neither should any of you guys (SteveD) since how long would your gardener work for you when he did not do the work. I say it was a good financial move on the IHRA's part, cause if you are gettin' screwed, why stick around??

Comment

The new drag strip in Crandall, Tx Dallas Raceway is going to be an IHRA track

Comment

Working...
                              X