Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Epic SEMA Experience: How Bob And Greg Ate Dinner With Isky And Lunched With Linda Vaughn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Epic SEMA Experience: How Bob And Greg Ate Dinner With Isky And Lunched With Linda Vaughn

(WORDS BY GREG ROURKE – PHOTOS BY ROURKE/CHILUK) – Bob Chiluk and I had the opportunity to go to SE MA this year, our first trip to the automotive aft ermarket  epicenter of the universe.  You bet we w ent.  It was overwhelming.      As we wandered about in a daze, walking uncounted  hundreds of miles, we were most often asked what w as the coolest thing we saw.  Brian and Chad have  already shown you so many cool vehicles and parts,  and it would be impossible to reduce it down to o ne thing.  Our highlight of the event wasn’t what,  but who. This is the kind of thing that only happ ens at SEMA. And this was something that happened  in Vegas, but won’t be staying in Vegas.         At the end of each day there were shuttle buses to  take you back to your hotel. Bob and I are waitin g at the stop farthest away from the hall.  It’s d ark, we’re exhausted.  “Hey, does this bus go to t he Golden Nugget?” we hear a grizzled voice ask fr om the dark.  We turn, and who do we see? Ed Isken derian, the Camfather himself.  You could’a knocke d us over with a feather.         We talked for a few minutes, then the bus came. Is ky was staying at another hotel near the Golden Nu gget. Bob and I decide we need to introduce oursel ves, and educate Isky about BangShift.  As we de-bussed, we made the decision to invite this legend  to dinner. We had to walk fast to catch up to thi s 93 year old. He wanted something inexpensive, bu t no way are we letting him pay…he decided the buf fet was for him.      After a few trips through the food lines, and abou t 12 cups of coffee for Isky, he regails us with s tories from the glory days of hot rodding.  How he  got Pete Millar to do cartoons for him during the  famous Cam Wars of the 60’s. How the “Five Cycle”  cam got it’s name.  How Tom McEwen decided to mak e a name for himself by trying to beat The Greek i n a 2 out of 3, only to not be able to fire up his  fueler.  How one year he didn’t have his credenti als and they wouldn’t let him into the convention.  Every story begins with “Oh yeah…” and he remembe rs every detail. Sharp as a tack this guy is, at n early a century old. He drove himself from LA to V egas, in a rental car because his daily driver wou ldn’t make it.  It’s getting late, and I had alrea dy greased the waitress to keep her from giving us  the stinkeye for loitering at her table. Isky dec ides we need to come to the SEMA Hall Of Fame lunc heon the next day. Are you sure that’s okay, Isky?  “Sure I’m sure. I was the first president of SEMA , my invite is Plus One, and lots of people don’t  show up.  You can sit with me and Linda Vaughn.”   Then he wrapped up half a brownie in a paper place mat and headed off to his hotel.     The next day Bob and I are trying to blend into th e wallpaper in the ballroom. The organizer is kind a hee-hawing around about whether we should be there, we  tell her we’re guests of Isky.  No Isky yet, but  Don Prudhomme is nursing a diet Coke, Bob Vanderfr iff is working the crowd, and Dave Mclelland sound s just like he always has. Linda Vaughn looks as g ood as ever in leopard print and matching heels.   Isky makes an entrance…”What are you guys doing ov er there? Come over and have lunch.”  The organize r is releaved she won’t have to call security on t he two goons from Chicago.      We didn’t get to sit with Isky, his table filled u p quick with other legends. We sat at the next tab le, with Nate Shelton, Chairman Of The Board of SE MA. Also dining with us was was Hall Of Fame Nile  Cornelison. So while Brian and Chad were choking d own $12 hot dogs from a food truck, Bob and I were  dining on Filet Mignon and wondering what to do w ith all the extra forks next to our plates. Isky t ook the leftover bread from the table, shook our h ands and invited us to visit his shop sometime.    Bob and I are sometimes questioned by our friends  why we do what we do here at BangShift. Our  road trips, expenses and hotels are all out of ou r own pockets. This episode, ladies and gentlemen, is why we do what we do. Experiences like this mon ey cannot buy. 

More...
Working...
X