Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tata Nano: Tiny $2,000 Car to See Indian Roads by July

Re: Tata Nano: Tiny $2,000 Car to See Indian Roads by July

I want one. I've been thinking about a scooter to get around town and this seems to be a scooter with a roof - great on those coastal rainy days. Never take it above 45 or so and not out of the city limits and I think it might work. Needs emissions stuff and I suppose the safety folks won't let it slide, either. Maybe $5K with shipping? If you can buy a scooter why not one of these?

Dan

Comment

There already in the process Dan.

A europian version is in the makes now, including airbags and leather trim.
      A U.S. version is in design, obvioulsy that thing wouldn't pass our safety standards
      so they're working on that. Not real excited to see those over here though.
      Either way ours will not be 2k, so once it's all safe and shipped here is it worth the price?

I say create a new class of vehicle, create a min. and max. speed and throw out the safety.
      Small motors, no A/C etc... Think bigger and slighty faster golf karts.

Our small town considered a law to make Karts and some of those off road deals (ranger,gator,etc.)
      Street legal. It got shot down once the thought of an Expediton turning you into a grease stain on
      the road. Might have been neat though.
      Chris

Comment

The Smart car is the same size... and amazingly fun to drive - but I still can't get over the idea that, in an accident, you'd get a first hand experience to learn what a baseball feels like. While the cage of the car is strong; there's nothing to save you from the incredible Gs you'd be subjected to in the sudden decelleration and accelleration after the hit.... now if they just made them with plastic interiors they would just hose you out and sell it to the next darwin award winner.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
          I thought I heard somebody say they were going to make these things legal in Texas - I'll buy one if they do. 5k, has A/C and heater, 5spd, 4x4:

Loaded with water cannon and civil defense siren horn, I think you could get through town without getting too squashed. Highway? No way... but town? maybe...
          These things were all over Okinawa when we were there in the 70's. Most had top speeds of around 35-40 mph. Since the top speed on that tiny island was 33 mph, it didn't really matter.

My buddy's Mom drove a van version.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

They can't be any more dangerous than the three wheeled Cushman scooters they use as taxi's in India. I've seen 10 or 12 people crammed into/on them on a regular basis.

Brian is right on with the lack of regulation and laws for roads there. I rode in a mini van from New Delhi to Agra to see the Taj Majal, a 5 1/2 hour trip each way. It was the most harrowing experience of my life. The average space between us and the trucks/scooters/cows/monkeys/bicycles/pedestrians was about an inch, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by CM325
              There already in the process Dan.

A europian version is in the makes now, including airbags and leather trim.
              A U.S. version is in design, obvioulsy that thing wouldn't pass our safety standards
              so they're working on that. Not real excited to see those over here though.
              Either way ours will not be 2k, so once it's all safe and shipped here is it worth the price?

I say create a new class of vehicle, create a min. and max. speed and throw out the safety.
              Small motors, no A/C etc... Think bigger and slighty faster golf karts.

Our small town considered a law to make Karts and some of those off road deals (ranger,gator,etc.)
              Street legal. It got shot down once the thought of an Expediton turning you into a grease stain on
              the road. Might have been neat though.
              Chris
              they had an outside contractor trying to outfit them with airbags for under $500. don't know if it was successful or not though
              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Wait for it, once Tata truly gets rolling the Japanese, Koreans, et al will be complaining about low-cost foreign-built cars flooding the international market.

Deja vu
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Looks like it should renamed to "Death In A Can" If you're in an accident that thing why bother with a coffin. Just dig a hole and shove you in.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    Looks like it should renamed to "Death In A Can" If you're in an accident that thing why bother with a coffin. Just dig a hole and shove you in.
                    Yeah but the same could be said about a T-Bucket. Then again I'd rather die in a bucket than that thing.

$500 for airbags, seems cheap for something that can total a car here.

We should be allowed to be less safe, maybe people would pay more attention if there car was a little less safe and not outfitted with, TV's DVD's SatNav etc.....

Chris

Comment

We have Hijets on the road here. And Smartcars, oh, the Smartcars...
                      I've also noticed a Mercedes-branded Smart-sized vehicle appearing all over the place, too.

Here is a funny shot. Can't think of a reason Id ever drive one of those things.

Getting passed by a smartcar.
                      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                      1997 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

When it dies do you bury it in the back yard or just flush it?

Comment

It may be water soluable.

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Every TATA brand vehicle I've ever seen over there is, without a doubt, the BIGGEST piece of shit in it's class. Buses with randomly-opening doors, the most unergonomically-designed pickup (research: Telcodyne)...scares me that they would bring that 4-wheeled ping-pong ball here to the States.

I don't have anything against Smartcars. Shove a Hyabusa motor into it and go Ferrari huntin'...
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                            X