• Show
Clear All

• Video of the Week: Trans-Am 1969

Re: Video of the Week: Trans-Am 1969

Just think, all those good lookin girls are older than Dan now :o :P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Diggin that 'feel good' 60s background music;, the consumption of High Life - The Champagne of Beers; and the period talent - good vibrations ;D
      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Very cool footage. Anyone know the story with the Firebird in the caption? Looks like the front fenders have a 70-72 GTO style body line and the rest is a combination 67-69 body.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowhead
          Diggin that 'feel good' 60s background music;, the consumption of High Life - The Champagne of Beers; and the period talent - good vibrations ;D
          Beat me to it Tom, I was thinking more 007ish.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Notice that the 6 and 9 Penske cars still had the vinyl tops still. Story goes that they were installed to cover up wrinkles in the roof from a stay in the acid dip that was to long. SCCA Tech Inspector Walt Hane ordered the team to strip the vinyl off at the race in Michigan at the start of the season but, the team refused and several races later showed up with painted roofs. 13 Firebird is Jerry Titus.
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              Just think, all those good lookin girls are older than Dan now :o :P
              Oh, thank you for ruining a perfectly good fantasy.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Now that Dynacorn makes new 69 Mustang bodies as well as Camaros, they should start a new "vintage" racing series.All we need is someone to reproduce Javelins and some Dodge/Plymouth bodies and we are set ;D

Comment

Brian, sounds like AMC/Javelin history is growing on you;)

Those are the Kapplan Javelins, Ron Kapplan ran the team prior to the AMC/Penske venture in 70. I love the '69 Javelin racer hood scoops, I plan to reproduce one someday for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob
                    Very cool footage. Anyone know the story with the Firebird in the caption? Looks like the front fenders have a 70-72 GTO style body line and the rest is a combination 67-69 body.
                    The 69 SCCA Firebird was supposed to use a 303 ci Pontiac motor. It wasn't ready in time, so they had to use Chevy engines. But they couldn't use a Chevy engine in the 1969 Firebird because the SCCA wasn't going to accept the 'Canadian Version' excuse anymore.
                    The 67-68's were still allowed to use Chevy engines because they had raced that way before the rules changed. So they made it look like a 68.

Comment

So whens the next one in Calif and who from here is going??? Id be down for a trip to Laguna Seca to watch these things battle it out!

Chris 8)

Comment

Oy, that was great - ladies and all!

I am so down for racing vintage Trans-Am style. We should all build beaters and then meet up at track during the summer. Sort of our own mix of 24 Hours of Lemons and Trans-Am. None of the cars would have to be all out racers, most of us would probably drive our cars their, run a few laps side by side (obviously not actually racing - no need to kill ourselves).

Originally posted by Rendid
                        Originally posted by olbuddybob
                        The 69 SCCA Firebird was supposed to use a 303 ci Pontiac motor. It wasn't ready in time, so they had to use Chevy engines. But they couldn't use a Chevy engine in the 1969 Firebird because the SCCA wasn't going to accept the 'Canadian Version' excuse anymore.
                        The 67-68's were still allowed to use Chevy engines because they had raced that way before the rules changed. So they made it look like a 68.
                        Sneaky sneaky! :D

Comment

My uncle passed away recently and I found this picture of him in a box of old stuff. This would have been mid-60's at Marlboro (MD) or possibly Lime Rock. Thanks for the flashback!

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                          X