Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Destination: The Blue Ridge Parkway

Re: Gearhead Destination: The Blue Ridge Parkway

It is a very beautiful drive, I have driven on most of it from Roanoke to Asheville and some side roads also. Fall is a good time to drive and look at leaves but it gets pretty crowded. If you go take a picnic lunch and a blanket and your girl, you can score some major points. ;)

Comment

Done the Tail and some of the Blue Ridge Skyway last October. It is very pretty and well worth the drive and time.
      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Definitely worth the time to drive to if you're into twistys and beautiful scenery.
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

You and 10 million other people... pack your patience. I've seen blogs/blurbs about this on every magazine that caters to things with wheels.... meaning, cars, trucks motorcycles, bikes (the pedal kind), RV magazines... I've seen vid of it on the crotch rocket tv show (can't remember its name); and on versus for bike riding....
          so you'll have RVs who are unwilling to pass bicyclists and a line of 10,000 irrate other drivers stuck behind the motorhome.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
            You and 10 million other people... pack your patience. I've seen blogs/blurbs about this on every magazine that caters to things with wheels.... meaning, cars, trucks motorcycles, bikes (the pedal kind), RV magazines... I've seen vid of it on the crotch rocket tv show (can't remember its name); and on versus for bike riding....
            so you'll have RVs who are unwilling to pass bicyclists and a line of 10,000 irrate other drivers stuck behind the motorhome.
            It's all in the timing, if you get there right at sunrise you're golden. The PT did it in '06 and it was a bit crowded, but still a blast.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Well, my first thought was road trip, and I started to actually plan it when I saw it was on the east coast, but reading some of the comments, I might reconsider. I hate traffic. Maybe if I go early enough in the spring, before most schools let out it won't be so bad.

Comment

Just don't go during the peak seasons, ie summer vacation, and fall leaf changes.

Bicyclists will only slow you down on the up hills, I''ve seen 65mph on my speedo on my road bike coming down from grandfather mtn toward boone. There are some kille side roads, one of my faves was paved a couple years back, it was 45mph twisties on dirt. Its almost as good paved. You can find it at.... ooohhh sorry you didn't think I'd actually tell you where it was ;D

Comment

Amazing stretch of road way. Been on it many times. It's a road you should be on at least once in your life time. Here's a pix from 4 years ago on the Blue Ridge in VA when we went to Atlanta to visit my cousin. We're leaving for a short vacation next Friday to Myrtle Beach SC to visit a friend. I plan on going on the Blue Ridge

Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The key to the parkway is simple. you cant be in a huge hurry or you will end up going postal.

Pack a lunch and a couple beers or wine and figure on pulling over and just enjoying the veiw on top of the mountain side.We have done it in a hurry and taking our time and i think the later is the way to go.
                    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

I'm on it for a short stretch everyday for work, weekends may have more traffic and yes in the fall it can get busy. I would recommend it to all. Be careful, the rangers do run radar, but it is rare. ;D
                      Living the dream!

Comment

You and 10 million other people... pack your patience. I've seen blohags/blurbs about this on every magazine that caters to things with wheels.... meaning, cars, trucks motorcycles, bikes (the pedal kind), RV magazines... I've seen vid of it on the crotch rocket tv show (can't remember its name); and on versus for bike riding....
                        I have driven and bicycled the Parkway many times. I think this is real overstatement of what it is like. I cannot remember a time when I was harrased as a cyclist or held up traffic to the point where there were more than just few cars behind me. When driving I have never had cyclists hold me up to the point that I didn't want to be there. Even in summer during the week it is not a chore to drive the Parkway. Good weather weekends and during the autumn leaf season things can get a little crowded. Remember that bicycles are considered motor vehicles and thus have all the rights and responsibilities of a motor vehicle. Understand too that it is not always safe to pull off to let traffic by. Especially if you are on a road bike pulling off onto a grassey area or one with loose dirt or gravel can mean a fall, usually back into the road. I have ridden of the Parkway when I had to slow down for cars when going downhill, just like they have to slow somewhat for me as I climb up. As has been said earlier this is not the road to travel if you are in a hurry. Just sit back and enjoy!

Law enforcement is the park rangers. They are the law and will pull you! They are not there just to give you lessons on the outdoors.

If you are in the Asheville area be sure to go off the Parkway and drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell. It is the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. Beautiful view at the top. Be sure your brakes are top notch when coming down.

Comment

If you are going to the asheville sidepart of the parkway isclosedbetween asheville and mt mitchell. You must drive into marion and take the SR to the park way. this is a really sweet state maintained road, and is not recomended for inexperienced riders. (harley's drag the pegs at 25mph)

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
                            You and 10 million other people... pack your patience. I've seen blohags/blurbs about this on every magazine that caters to things with wheels.... meaning, cars, trucks motorcycles, bikes (the pedal kind), RV magazines... I've seen vid of it on the crotch rocket tv show (can't remember its name); and on versus for bike riding....
                            I have driven and bicycled the Parkway many times. I think this is real overstatement of what it is like. I cannot remember a time when I was harrased as a cyclist or held up traffic to the point where there were more than just few cars behind me. When driving I have never had cyclists hold me up to the point that I didn't want to be there. Even in summer during the week it is not a chore to drive the Parkway. Good weather weekends and during the autumn leaf season things can get a little crowded. Remember that bicycles are considered motor vehicles and thus have all the rights and responsibilities of a motor vehicle. Understand too that it is not always safe to pull off to let traffic by. Especially if you are on a road bike pulling off onto a grassey area or one with loose dirt or gravel can mean a fall, usually back into the road. I have ridden of the Parkway when I had to slow down for cars when going downhill, just like they have to slow somewhat for me as I climb up. As has been said earlier this is not the road to travel if you are in a hurry. Just sit back and enjoy!

Law enforcement is the park rangers. They are the law and will pull you! They are not there just to give you lessons on the outdoors.

If you are in the Asheville area be sure to go off the Parkway and drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell. It is the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. Beautiful view at the top. Be sure your brakes are top notch when coming down.

Gotta be clear here - I'm on my road bike far more often then a car. If it weren't for biking, I'd be the one going postal. So yes, bikes are cars too... funny thing is, most times I'm going faster then cars; which pisses car drivers off to no end - which really I don't understand because last time I was hit on my bike; I drove my big red Hummer.... seems they prefer that ???
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                            X