Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline Time Attack Track Event

First things first.........

Chad / David, cool forum. If the website turns out half as popular as the forum seems to be, it'll be a big hit. Congrats!!

Now on to the event info:

Background: Playing with some of the toys at Buttonwillow recently and started talking to some of the V8 guys in attendence. Seems there might just be some muscle car addicts out there interested in showing the sport compact world that they've nothin' on good old American Iron. With that in mind, Redline Track Events and Spectre Performance got together to create a class strictly for the muscle car crowd at Redline's "Time Attack" road course events this year.

For those unfamiliar with this type of event, a Time Attack is simply a closed course competition giving you an opportunity to compete head to head against other drivers for the best lap time on some of the country’s best road courses, without having to trade paint or bang up your sheet metal. This is your chance to show what you can do on a race track with turns.

Every driver will receive a number of practice sessions in the morning to fine tune their car and perfect their racing line. Finishing off the day will be the official Redline Time Attack! competition session. Each division will be sent out onto the track in small groups of 5-9 cars. After one warm-up lap, all cars in the Time Attack session will have 3 hot laps to run the fastest time possible. Winners will be crowned in each division following the completion of the time attack sessions.

The first event is scheduled for March 29th and 30th at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in Central California with plans in place for a second event to be held at California Speedway in Fontana, California July 19th and 20th. Class breakdown will depend on the amount of interest and type of iron you want to run. Current plans are for a single class for V8 powered pre-'80 cars, but that can be changed.......... 9 entries make a class, so let's see who's interested. If there's enough interest in this type of event, we're open to expanding the schedule to include all the Redline Time Attack events throughout the country (currently on the schedule are Gateway International Raceway, Miller Motorsports Park, Nashville Super Speedway, Summit Point Raceway and Virginia International Raceway). The guys at Redline are way cool and are willing to open up an area in the pits for you and your buddies to bring out the show cars as well.

Let me know what you think. Feedback, good or bad is always welcome in starting a new venture. Maybe we can even get Chad to bring "Rusty" out again and show us how to put some heavy metal hurt on 'em! :D For further information or registration see the Redline Time Attack website ( http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index.html ) or you can contact me directly at 1-800-821-4868 x329.

Thanks for taking the time.......

Mike

Re: Redline Time Attack Track Event

I know about the series and we've been wanting to calendar the events and attend as often as possible. I didn't know about the musclecar class, but it's a great idea and we'd love to support it. Thanks for joining and for posting that stuff.

As for rules, I'd suggest '81 and earlier, mostly because the GM Camaro/Firebird platform changed in '82, though the '81 cutoff is a little odd because it means '79-'81 Mustangs can race but '82-'93 cars on the exact same platform cannot. I think the real goal is to get "musclecar type platforms," (ie, older technology chassis that can fairly compete head-to-head) so it may be best to list specific allowable body platforms as follows:

GM A-bodies up to '77
    GM G bodies up to '87
    GM X-bodies up to '79
    GM F-bodies up to '81
    GM fullsize cars through '96
    Mopar B-bodies up to '74
    Mopar A-bodies up to '75
    Mopar C-bodies, all
    Ford Mustang/Mercury Cougar through '73
    Ford Mercury mid and fullsize through '79
    AMC through '86

That would pretty much limit it to suspension designs that originated in the early '60s to early '70s. Nothing with IRS, nothing with struts.

I'd also make the rules state bolt-on suspension upgrades only, so there would be no tube-chassis cars.

Personally, I'd also allow inline sixes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback David.......... all good info.

As time goes on we'll probably refine the class breakdown and rules (if you don't mind, may plagiarize your post and use many of your suggestions), but figured we'd leave it somewhat open until we see what kind of response we get. What's cool about this is that the guys at Redline have been doing this awaile, so the format's proven and they've pretty much given us carte-blanche to set up the initial event and class structure based on feedback and car count. Since we only need 9 cars to make a class, we may wind up with a few classes at some point in the year.

As we get closer we'll be sure to keep all here in the loop with updates and new info.

Thanks again for for your feedback and support.

Mike

Comment

May I suggest adapting the SCCA Solo II rules for E-street prepared or Street Mod.

And another class for C-prepared cars.

There are a lot of older E-street Prepared cars that are not so competitive anymore that are looking for some fun. And others that are still competitive want to do other things. Those cars are limited to bolt on mods and updating and backdating within a body/chassis style. Stock long block, any induction, weld on subframe connectors at three points. Bolt on any shock, spring, sway bar...

The C-prepared owners may choose to run solo II and/or your track series.

This gives ready, willing, and able car owners an alternative. These owners allready have some understanding of racing with their car.

I think the E-street prepared or Street Mod SCCA rules will keep the costs down and get the car count up. I'd added a tire width limit like 8" in there. Keeps the speeds and costs down.

Comment

Okay guys......... this weekend is the first Redline Time Attack event for the year at Buttonwillow in Central California (Sunday to be exact......... Saturday is an open track event day).

Looks like there should be some old American Iron in attendence, so that's cool!

Since this is the first event of the year and the first time Redline has created a class for the Old School Muscle Cars, we're going to keep it simple and see how things pan out before pluggin a lot of rules in, so for anyone else that may be interested, here's a rough outline of cars being being considered for this class (it may go to 2 classes, stock and modified, depending on car count, engine mods and suspension mods).

Next event is July 19th - 20th at California Speedway, so between now and then I'm sure we'll be defining the classes more........ but for now, here's what we got:

AC Cobra 1963-1965
          AMC AMX Sports Coupe 1968 - 1970
          AMC Javelin 1968-72
          AMC SC Rambler 1969
          AMC Rebel 1970
          AMC Hornet SC/360 1971
          Buick Skylark Gran Sport 1965- 1967
          Buick Gran Sport 1967-1973
          Buick GSX 1970
          Buick Regal 1973-1978
          Buick Regal/Regal GNX V6 Turbo 1978-1987
          Buick Regal Grand National V6 Turbo 1982-1986
          Chevrolet Camaro/Camaro Z28 I-6/V6/V8 1967-1969
          Chevrolet Camaro/Camaro Z28 V6/V8 1970-1981
          Chevrolet Cheville/Malibu 1964-1977
          Chevrolet El Camino 1964-1977
          Chevrolet Chevy II/Nova 1962-1968
          Chevrolet Nova/Nova SS 1969-1970
          Chevrolet Corvette 1953-1962
          Chevrolet Corvette 1963-1967
          Chevrolet Corvette 1968-1982
          Chevrolet Corvair 1960-1969
          Dodge Challenger 1970-1974
          Dodge Charger/Coronet 1966-1974
          Dodge Dart 1963-1974
          Dodge Super Bee 1968-1974
          Dodge Demon 1970-1973
          Ford Falcon 1963-1970 1/2
          Ford Galaxie 1962-1970
          Ford Mustang 1965-1972
          Ford Maverick 1970-1976
          Ford Torino 1968-1972
          Mercury Cougar 1966-1969
          Mercury Comet/Meteor 1960-1967
          Oldsmobile Cutlass/Cutlass Supreme/442 1964-1973
          Plymouth Barracuda 1964 1/2-1969
          Plymouth Barracuda 1970-1974
          Plymouth Duster 1970-1976
          Plymouth Roadrunner/Satellite/GTX 1968-1973
          Pontiac Firebird 1967-1969
          Pontiac Firebird 1970-1981
          Pontiac GTO/Tempest 1964-1974
          Shelby Cobra V8 1962-1965
          Shelby Mustang GT-350/500 1965-1970

If you've got something else that's pre-85/86, let us know........... I'm sure we can work it in.

Thanks for takin the time and if we don't see you at Buttonwillow, mark the calander for July 19th / 20th and we'll see you at California Speedway.

Comment

Mike, does Patty know that you are using "Rotnralph" as a forum username? although I have to admit, this is an easy way to remember "The Magic Word" at midnight when the alarm's going off!! :D
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

lol scott its only a matter of time before they all start coming over here.

Comment

Scott/Shaun......... good to hear from you both........ although not the same as if in person (Shaun, still waiting on your invite to the dez so you can school "the old man" on how to handle something with 2 wheels :P)........... actually the "magic word" was changed some time back since the Rotnralph thing was something from back in my old motocross days.

Anyway, gettin off topic for this thread......... if ever in the area, stop by and say hi or come on out to one of the track events.

Mike

Comment

lol mike you always make me laugh

Comment

So does that mean I should expect a call soon??

Just remember, age and deceit will always overcome youth and exuberance!! ;D

Call me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotnralph
                      So does that mean I should expect a call soon??

Just remember, age and deceit will always overcome youth and exuberance!! ;D

Call me.
                      i dont know if im allowed to mingle with enemy i will have to check my contract....lol

Comment

Working...
                      X