CARJUNKIETV OPEN HOUSE: All The Info You Could Ever Need is Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARJUNKIETV OPEN HOUSE: All The Info You Could Ever Need is Here

Here’s all the info you should need in order to have a blast at the CarJunkieTV.com Open-House weekend. Take in as much or as little of the festivities as you like. Post any questions here on the thread and I’ll answer them as quickly as I can.

FRIDAY 2/15
    Bob’s Big-Boy Cruise-In: We expect that many out-of-town visitors will want to check out the historic drive-in during the weekly Friday-night cruise. Remember, the parking lot is small and will probably get overwhelmed quickly. You better be there by around 4 if you’re a power-parker. Otherwise, chances are pretty good that your car will be on the street or in another local parking lot. There is no official CarJunkieTV.com parking. We do plan to be there with the F-Bomb. The cruise is usually active between 6 and 8 pm, but with all of us Car Junkies in town, perhaps it will go longer. The police do hang out there and may ask us to leave at some point.
    The address of the Bob’s is 4211 W. Riverside Dr., Burbank, CA 91505. Here’s a Mapquest map:

As for food on Friday night, the Bob’s gets very crowded. You might want to check out the old ‘50s place across the street called Papoo’s Hot Dog Show. Diner fare and dogs for cheap. You can see Hot Dog Show briefly in the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie.

SATURDAY MORNING, 2/16
    Here are some things to do on Saturday morning before the CarJunkieTV.com open house goes live.

Donut Derelicts: This is the well-known 6:00 am cruise-in that happens at the donut shop at the corner of Adams and Magnolia in Huntington Beach. If you’re willing to get up early and drive an hour from Burbank, you might see as many as 200 local cars, but they’ll all be gone by 8 to 9 am. Here is the not very good web site: http://www.donutderelicts.com/

AutoBooks: This is the best little book store you’ll find: nothing but car and plane stuff. Saturday morning they are having a book signing with Stephan Szantai who wrote a book on VWs and who also did the recent Hot Rod Magazine story on Bugs. We expect lots of custom Bugs will be there, but that the Car Junkie crowd might overflow the place with street machines, too. The AutoBooks event is 10-2, and is very close to the CarJunkieTV.com shop.
    AutoBooks is at 3524 W. Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505. Here is the map:

Hollywood Hot Rods: You might want to check out Troy Ladd’s hot rod shop, recently seen in the pages of Hot Rod magazine. It’s less than 1/2 of a mile from CarJunkieTV.com at 40 East Palm Ave., Burbank, CA 91502. They open at 10.

Junkyards: Here are the spots where we locals used to pull LT1s and 340s out of cars 20 years ago. They still have some decent stuff sometimes.
    See Pick-Your Part at 11201 Pendleton, Sun Valley, CA 91352, http://www.pickyourpart.com/losangeles.html
    U Pull Parts is close as well, at 11409 Penrose St., Sun Valley, CA 91352
    Memory Lane is the best yard for old car parts and is worth seeing, but it is about an hour away in Wilmington, CA: http://www.oldautoparts.com/

Don’t forget that we are also right next to Universal Studios if you want to do the tour: http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/

SATURDAY 2/16, CARJUNKIETV.COM Open House
    We plan to open the doors at noon and will stay for however long the crowd wants to hang out. Most of our project cars will be there, including the F-Bomb, the Crusher Camaro, the Super Bee, the Bonneville Camaro, the Crew Cab Chevelle, the Mojave Green, the van, the minibikes, and about 20 others. We’ll probably start grilling around 1 and will keep it fired up as long as people want to eat. If enough minibikes show up, we’ll have a little race later in the afternoon.
    We have rented a nearby parking lot. It will be obvious where it is when you get there. This is an industrial area and there’s plenty of street parking on weekends, as well.
    As much as we hate to say this because it totally goes against our basic ethic, we are asking you for no burnouts. We’re new to the area and do not want to make trouble. Plus you can expect that the police will be cruising through.
    We have ordered 200 t-shirts. If we run out, we will take your name and address and mail you one in the size of your choice.
    When you get to the open house there will be a sign-in table. We need you to stop there to get your shirt and also to sign a waiver that allows us to use you in our videos. Our crew will be shooting all day.
    Mopar Performance has kindly offered a set of big-block cylinder heads and an intake to give away at the event. We have not yet decided how we will pick the winner, but we’ll do it in the afternoon.
    Our shop is located at 100 E. Providencia Ave., Burbank, CA 91502. However, all the action will be at the back side of the building, which is located at 101 E. Cedar Ave. Here is the map:

SUNDAY, 2/17
    On Sunday morning we will meet at the CarJunkieTV.com shop at 7:00 am to and will leave at 7:30 to caravan to the open test ‘n’ tune at historic Famoso Raceway near Bakersfield, CA. It is about a 2-hour drive to get to the track. The track gates open at 8:00 am. If you want to leave earlier to get there earlier, go for it.
    One we leave, we will be following the Mapquest directions shown below. We do not have planned fuel stops or anything, so just stay with the pack or go on your own. It would be fun to try and keep the group together, but we’re not going to be your mom and we do not plan to have car-to-car communications.

HOTELS IN BURBANK
    Residence Inn by Marriot is 3 tenths of a mile from out shop. You could stagger home from the open house if you had to. It's a brand-new place with lots of underground and safe outside parking. It's 321 S. First St, Burbank, CA 91502, 818/260-8787.

The Burbank Holiday Inn is old-school down-town Burbank with its twin towers built in the '70s. I've never seen a room there. It's 4 tenths of a mile from our shop, also within staggering distance. It's 150 E. Angeleno St, Burbank, CA 91502, 818/841-4770.

The Portofino Inn used to be the very '50s-cool Olive Manor, but a few months ago they completed a total makeover that probably made it nicer but that removed all the cool character of the building. It's one mile from our shop, about halfway between us and the Bob's cruise night. 924 W. Olive Ave., Burbank, CA 91506, 818/848-5100. Photos and info can be seen here: http://www.hotel-rates.com/us/califo...n-burbank.html

If it was me, I'd stay at the Safari Inn because it's the last and coolest of the old '50s roadside motels that's left in town. It's be great to see some Hot Rods in the lot. You saw this place in the movie True Romance. It's 1.5 miles from our shop, halfway between us and Bob's. 1911 W. Olive Ave., Burbank, CA 91506, 818/845-8586

Finally, the smallest of the hotels is the Holiday Lodge, a little locally owned place since 1955. It's clean but very basic. It's about 2 miles from us and is virtually next door to the Bob's Cruise night. 3901 W. Riverside Dr., Burbank, CA 91506, 818/843-1121.

If none of those do it for you, just Google any place in Burbank and it won't be far from us.

FOOD IN BURBANK
    For mainstream chain food, there are a bunch of options on San Fernando Rd. just north of the CarJunkieTV.com shop. These include Market Café, Crocodile Café, Gordon Biersch, PF Chang’s, and Macaroni Grill. San Fernando also has a lot of smaller local places.

For fast food, the closest In ‘n Out is very close at 761 N. First St. There is a Pollo Loco right next to it. If you’ve never had a Tommy Burger, make sure to get one at 1310 N. San Fernando.

For local breakfast dives, we like Tallyrand (1700 West Olive) and Eat’n Park (2517 W. Victory Blvd.).

Closer to the Bob’s Big Boy Cruise night, there’s chain Mexican food at El Torito (4012 W. Riverside Dr.), or the really good but crowded local place called Don Cuco’s (3911 W. Riverside Dr.)

The local Car Junkie dive-bar hangouts are The Blue Room (916 S. San Fernando Rd.), Tinhorn Flats (2623 W. Magnolia), and Champs (4103 W. Burbank Blvd.)

SHOPPING
    If you have an S.O. coming who would like to shop, there is an outdoor mall very close to our shop on San Fernando. It is right next to the indoor Media Center Mall/Burbank Town Center Mall. There is also a massive consumer-fest at the Empire Center, 1729 N. Victory Place.

Re: CARJUNKIETV OPEN HOUSE: All The Info You Could Ever Need is Here

Thanks for the info DF, see you guys in 6 days.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

See you there. Thanks for the info and I'm ready to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by chucks73
        See you there. Thanks for the info and I'm ready to cook.
        And I'm ready to eat! ;D Three more days until I head to CA.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Can you give more info about the Sunday test and tune session? Are we watching you guys test and tune or are we invited to bring along our rides for some strip time? If so what would be the requirements for bringing a car to test and tune?
          Regards,
          Charles Rollins

Comment

Hey, Charles...good to see you here. The day at Famoso is an open track day. It's not just carJunkieTV people, it's open to the public. So you can bring anything that will pass tech and race it. Are you bringing the Comet?

Comment

Thanks for the maps! about the no burnouts, I don't think a rental Kia will do one.

Comment

How do we get a T-shirt if we can't make it there?
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
                  How do we get a T-shirt if we can't make it there?
                  You don't. They are limited edition open-house-only shirts. But we'll have CJTV shirts for sale when the site launches. Thanks for asking.

Comment

How about a "I couldn't make it " shirt. Sounds llike a winner to me!
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I guess I'll have to pull the wheel covers to pass tech

Comment

Originally posted by std
                        How about a "I couldn't make it " shirt. Sounds llike a winner to me!
                        Something along these lines? "CarjunkieTV had a great show and all I got was a lousy T shirt"
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Too bad, I'd love to be there, just too far away, can't afford to miss time, and too far behind at work.

I do want to see some pic's and video, though.

Comment

I'm with you Bill. Lookin forward to lots of pics, video, & posts.
                            Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I bet it's gonna be a alot of fun
                              that none of these guy's will ever forget.

Just wish we could be there, getting t-shirts and all. ;D

Seriously, I hope all in attendance have a great time, DF you deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X