Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxton: April 5-6, 2008 Hot Rod Speed Challenge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maxton: April 5-6, 2008 Hot Rod Speed Challenge.

H@ll I got 1 blown motor (in the s10). and 80 hours of work to go on a pos pinto ;D

Comment

Still got a little time left.
      I'll be finishing the last preps for the Kia tommorrow, and getting all the Pit stuff ready to load up and start driving Friday Morning. Got to pull the Side Skirts for the Kia to be in the Altered Class, and put the Class Designation on the Car.

Comment

LOL @ Furb ;D

Comment

Most of the bottom end of the motor is together, Crank Pistons are in, need to do the intermediate shaft and one oil squirter when we find it. We will button it up in the morning. Drop it in and hopefully fire it up tomorrow.

Comment

Looks like the 'ole gal isn't going to make it in time for her first /TO run, so I'll take the truck and just volunteer to see how everything works and meet everyone.
            See ya'll there.

Comment

Got the rear header modified today, and I have to shorten the front one to get it up closer to the floor (they were made for a truck, but were nearly free). I've already butchered the front one to clear the K-frame (or what ever you call it on a GM product), which wasn't too bad. The fuel pump relay & wiring, fuel pressure regulator, and some other stuff is here from Summit, so, along with the freshly rebuilt carb (thanks, Dave M!!!), I think everything is here to make it go vroom. The guy finished welding up the cage and reworking the seatbelt mount, so other than some seat mount mods, we're ready to go 200 - like THAT'S gonna happen! The cage looks OK for a first effort, but I'd do MANY things differently the next time. Live & learn.

Don't know if I mentioned that the head is on & tight, and the valve lash is set - at least, until it warms up the first time. I made the Clifford valve cover pretty and got it on, along with 3 (yep, 3) V/C gaskets. According to Clyde Norwood, Clifford covers are famous for being warped and the best way to get them to seal is to stack up a bunch of gaskets. I'll give it a try.

The removable steering wheel is now in use, and I can't figure out how I got in the car without it - it's a BIG help. A race seat and these little short legs (means the seat has to be WAY forward), plus the cage, makes it extra tough to get in the thing.

Now, will I make the race? Still not sure. I have a TON of stuff left to do, and seemingly little time to do it, so we'll just see how it goes. Either it will or it won't. Just figuring out the carb linkage could take a day on it's own. And I have to cut the hood for the carb, and and and......

Later
              Dan

Comment

Cleaned the Car out today, Put the Class Stickers on, and removed the Side Skirts. G/GALT it is. I actually had time the Clean the Storage Area up a bit and get all the Pit Stuff ready to load up. It's been Rainng out for most of the day and hopefully tomorrow will be nicer out. I have one more project I would like to get finished by Friday.

Comment

Short block and trans are installed. The crank trigger mount was set for the old block. The mounting points on the new block were off by 1/2" We figured it out and got it installed. This took most of the day. The solid lifters are adjusted and in the head. Tomorrow we check piston clearance and installe hoses and belts, cv joints, and hopefully fire it up. Fingers crossed. Having my brother out from California has speeded things up dramatically! We might have to get him an ECTA membership if we get the truck ready and let him have a run or two.

Joel

Comment

The car is together, it runs and drives. Took it to the dyno and the thing is making great power(almost as much as last years peak but it's only at base boost right now).
                    Ah you say great, not so fast my friends as I also have a mysterious ignition problem. So I will be probably trying a new ignition system or rebuilding what I have today along with a couple of aero improvements(hopefully).

Comment

+1 on mysterious ign problem

Comment

Need a cam gear to fire it up.

Comment

Just have to align the front end and rejet the carb tonight then good to go. Friends aren't able to go so will be doing a solo. Doesn't look like my brother is going to make it either, couldn't get the truck back together in time. See you guys friday!

Comment

Originally posted by blu65ramb
                            Just have to align the front end and rejet the carb tonight then good to go. Friends aren't able to go so will be doing a solo. Doesn't look like my brother is going to make it either, couldn't get the truck back together in time. See you guys friday!
                            Loading uptonight and heading out wendsday :o

Comment

The Wife is going to visit Her Sister This Weekend, so I'll be doing the Trip Solo to. I'll be packing up the Car Wed, or Thur. Leaving Friday Morning, be there around Noon Friday. Get through Tech and then help Dan out (Volunteer).

Looking to get 2-3 Runs in a day and spend the second half of each day Helping out and surfing the Pits.

(Dave Maty) I already packed the Model, So I do not forget to bring it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
                                Looking to get 2-3 Runs in a day and spend the second half of each day Helping out and surfing the Pits.

(Dave Maty) I already packed the Model, So I do not forget to bring it.
                                That sounds like a good game plan ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X