Drive Your Junk Car Cruises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Your Junk Car Cruises

I hope this is the right place to post this.

A friend and myself are working on organizing some car cruises. It is all about getting people out in their classic cars and driving them. Car shows are cool, but for me the best part is driving to and from. I can only sit in the lounge chair and answer questions for so long before I am ready to go. It is not a club, no fees, dues, mandatory meetings, events, etc.. We are starting in northern CA, but would like to have people all over get involved, meaning if you are interested in doing something like this in your area, let me know. It's not a business, just car people wanting to do something fun.

The first step is to spread the word. We have a Facebook page, the link is below, you don't need to join Facebook to see it. The idea is to have meeting spots along a route and a destination in mind, maybe a car show, maybe a tour of some cool speed shop, who knows. Think mini Power Tours a reason to drive the cars and meet people. If you are on facebook already please "like" us and help spread the word.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

It's an interactive page so you can post pictures, suggestions, questions, etc.. Our e-mail is also available on the page.

Thanks,

Drive Your Junk Car Cruises

After reading a flyer for a cruise an hour from me in Nocona, TX...and seeing that registration is SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS, I thought to myself, you know what, I'm going to pick up a rod/jet 1487 tuning kit for my carb, and maybe twenty to thirty bucks of gas. And I'm not going to that cruise, because that's crap! I'll burn my gas and rubber right here in town and when a better idea like this Drive Your &*$# thing comes alone, I'll go for it. At least HRPT is still $30/day (since I can only afford to take two days off for it). This is a GREAT idea and would be a lot more fun than a car show or two. I don't want to polish my headlight bezels with a toothbrush. I want to drive my car, and see nothing but chrome and steel in front of and behind me as far as the eye can see.
    Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
    1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

Occupant,

Those are our thoughts as well. Car shows are fine, but the best part is driving to them and then driving home. They are an excuse and destination to drive the car. I don't like having to pay to park my car while they charge people to come look at our cars. If it's for a good cause or charity, we're all for it. If it's to line someones pocket, I can spend that money on gas and enjoy the cruise. They can keep the trophies and plaques that just end up collecting dust anyway.

We have a few participants in Texas, so spread the word and we'll try to organize an event or two down your way. Just need people to participate for it to be successful. The site/page is meant to be interactive.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I started the 2013 Western Scenic Tour! I'm not a big fan of car shows and while I love the Power Tour its always back east and takes too much time and money for those of us out west! So, here is the scoop, this tour is open to everyone and if you have a classic, muscle car, antique or modern muscle or if need be, your daily driver come on out. Our tour starts in Las Vegas on 9/22/13 at the South Point Resort. Next morning we are off to tour Zion National Park with the nights stay in Mt. Carmel, Utah. Next day we are off to Moab, Utah for tours of Arches National Park and Castle Valley! The final two days will be spent in Ouray, Colorado where we will have a show and shine car show with a best of show award and a bbq followed up the next day with some of the most beautiful drives you will ever see including the million dollar highway! There is no cost other than your travel expenses. My facebook page Western Scenic Tour is the primary page for this tour however I am also posting on Western Scenic Tour on the bangshift forum under the "unofficial power tour thread" page. Come join us, we have all kinds of cars so far and I absolutely guarantee a good time!

Doug
        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Doug,

I checked out your Facebook page and shared it with the "followers" on our page. Not sure we can pull it off this year, but I love the idea and that is what we were working towards. Hopefully we can team up and make a great event. Looks like we are on the same page as far as, not charging, and doing something for the guys out west. I wish I would have found the Western Scenic Tour earlier. I'm going to push to get a large group of people for next years tour. Do you do the same route every years or are you open to changing the route a bit? Not that there is anything wrong with the route you have planned, looks great. Just trying to get an idea. I will map out the route and see how many miles it is, and figure out where the gas stops would be.

Feel free to stop over on our page and promote your event. I already added a link to it, but hearing it from the source is always nice. www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk
          Last edited by camaroman7d; April 8, 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Ride Along With Me Down the California Coast

Here is a little video shot from my car on the last cruise. There were a total of about 50 cars on this cruise.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

What a ride. Would love to drive Hwy 1 sometime.
              PT 2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2014-2015
              1970 EL CAMINO

Comment

It seems like we're now seeing more and more of these smaller "independent" cruises. While HRPT was definitely the thing that made longer-haul cruising more popular then ever, because of the locations, time and costs involved, it has become out of reach for lots of people.

A 50 car count is definitely a good number.

I personally have been running the Northeast Rod Run ( https://www.facebook.com/northeast.rodrun or www.northeastrodrun.com) for 6 years now and it would have never happened without of HRPT.

Just like with your cruise, we always plan great stops along the way to make things more interesting. We don't charge anything to join us and it's all about the experience, not about winning trophies or making money.

BTW.... I liked your Facebook page
                1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and check out and like our page. You have been doing this a lot longer than we have so, feel free to offer insight. I have noticed some people are just not willing to venture too far from home in their classic. There is a small core group of us that will drive long distances. I'm trying to grow that number. I paid a visit to your page, but there is no "like" button, I would like to hear more about your events. How often do you plan cruises? How far do you guys drive? Anything you have learned that you think we need to know, we are all ears. So far we are doing pretty good getting the word out.

I agree HRPT is a great event and peaked the interest of the hot rod world to drive their cars. I have always built my cars to be driven and love to drive them. The problem with the Power Tour is first they don't come to the west coast or even close. That eliminates a lot of wishful cruisers, the whole northwest (northern US in general) is ignored by most events in general, there are a lot of car people up there. The weather can be challenging, but if planned right I think we can pull off an event to include them

Comment

Thanks, it was a lot of fun. Highway 1 in the Summer is awesome.

Comment

Here are some picture of our last cruise. If you like what you see pop over to Facebook and like our page www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk We would love to have you join us on a cruise or help support growing the group in other areas.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7901088&type=3

Let me know what you think.
                      Last edited by camaroman7d; October 1, 2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Here are just a few pics from our 6th annual run, that we did two weeks ago. Many more pics on our Facebook page.

We run a different route every year, with 90% of our driving being done without ever even hitting an Interstate. Total mileage for me was 750 this year, but we have some people that drive that far just to get to the kickoff.

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman7d View Post
                          Here are some picture of our last cruise. If you like what you see pop over to Facebook and like our page www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk We would love to have you join us on a cruise or help support growing the group in other areas.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7901088&type=3

Let me know what you think.
                          Looks like you guys had a great group of cars for your trip. I hope the people were just as good, or even better?

Comment

Not sure how I missed these postings. Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. Yes, the group of people are always great. We have some very good events planned for this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X