No announcement yet.

We Didn't Win the Half-Billion Dollar Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of us would try to be another Larry Larson just to very quickly realize how amazingly talented he really is.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Since this is primarily a car forum, car stuff I'd like to do:
      Get an old style left side drive mini-cooper, because I think they're cool and fun.
      Learn about turbos and LS engines... maybe put one in the Chevelle.
      I've toyed with the idea of putting an 80's body style C10 on a newer truck chassis and drivetrain.
      Learn to weld, so I could do more of the fabrication myself. Not that I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it - but for the satisfaction of doing more of a project myself.

Those are ideas I've thought about without much play money. If I had plenty of play money, my interests would likely evolve.

Comment

Yeah, it's all about dreams. And dreams, like hard calculations, are real and valuable.

Today, this morning, I have an odd comparison to offer. Janis Joplin. The second verse of the song "Mercedes Benz." Somehow this seems to tie in...

Oh Lord
        Won't you buy me a color TV
        Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me
        I wait for delivery each day until Three
        Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV

She was probably completely stoned when she made up those lines....but I think there's a comparison to the lottery there somewhere.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's fun to dream but then reality hits. The old adage - the quickest way to lose a friend is to loan him money - reminds me that 1) I'm very blessed by the friends I have, and 2) I've much to be thankful for.... and all of which could easily be taken away by "winning" the lottery
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That's why you don't "loan" friends money. If you have it to give, and are willing to give it - give it. If they every pay it back, consider that a gift. Giving without the expectation of reimbursement is much better. btw, thank you again for the steering column.

Comment

Peewee, remember, when Joplin wrote that song, color tv was "new" very few folks had them.. It was an item of desire.. Nowadays "black and white"? What's that?
              I forget which show it was but it was filmed in color, since nobody had color broadcasting equipment and color TV's, it was broadcast in B&W.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I forget which show it was but it was filmed in color, since nobody had color broadcasting equipment and color TV's, it was broadcast in B&W.
                Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Dick van Dyke sticks in my craw for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                    That's why you don't "loan" friends money. If you have it to give, and are willing to give it - give it. If they every pay it back, consider that a gift. Giving without the expectation of reimbursement is much better. btw, thank you again for the steering column.

true... as for the steering column... I wasn't using it, I didn't need it, and I didn't even remember it until you just mentioned it - hopefully it steers you right?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X