Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban 2WD in the Snow

Howdy,

I know my '99 Silverado was not great in the snow without the 4WD engaged but it did have a long and very empty bed. How would a 2WD similar generation Suburban do in the snow with more sheetmetal (as well as seats) in the back? I guess I could (and perhaps should have on the Silverado) ballasted it down with some more weight and put real snow tires vs. the A/T Revo 2 mud and snow all terrains.

Thanks,
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; February 15, 2015, 02:36 PM.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

I always shovel the driveway into the bed of my '97 C1500. In a Suburban I'd get a bag of concrete mix, wet it down real good, let it dry, instant ballast that won't make a mess inside the vehicle. For $8± you get 80lbs of weight. For $25 you could have 250lbs± of ballast.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I've put tons of snow miles on full size chevy vans.....they do awesome with a pair of good snows or Mud-n-snows on the rear. Weight distribution is closer to 40/50 than anything. I'd imagine a suburban would be very similar.

2wd pickups are the worst in snow.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I've put tons of snow miles on full size chevy vans.....they do awesome with a pair of good snows or Mud-n-snows on the rear. Weight distribution is closer to 40/50 than anything. I'd imagine a suburban would be very similar.

2wd pickups are the worst in snow.
        4wd in 2wd is worse than real 2wd..the front end still needs to spin a diff on the 4x4.

I am finding the manual tranny could go a long way in 2wd mode. Can feel out stuff...but 4wd inevitable. I am also finding, you can get going a lot easier than stopping. I like the 4x4 more for stopping than going. I triggered ABS on my first snowy ride, a car was turning off up ahead..Jumped the hell out of me. Quite a racket..the abs stuff.

The vans are mythological. I climbed this mountain called bald hill, radio towers at the top. My little sube in four low, thinking I am on some manly adventure...

what goes by, non stop, without spinning while bouncing ladders off the rack and full of telecom stuff to the point of squatting... a 2wd van that even 3 wheeled up and over a rock on the very steep grade.

I was embarrassed.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 15, 2015, 07:11 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good snow tires make a huge difference. I drove Dodge Ram vans alot in the snow,some aggresive tires and a little careful dtiving did the job.

Comment

I have a brother in law that had a new 2003 4×4 Chevy truck that was his only 4th he has every had. The main thing he liked about it was taking off from a dead stop in the rain . It had a all wheel drive mode. He liked the truck but didn't love it. He traded it for a new 2004 Suburban two wheel drive with a limited slip rear. He loves it.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
            X