• Show
Clear All

Greenlee screw machine

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      OK. Try THIS unit:

[ATTACH]n1010329[/ATTACH]

Dan

they had a device that look quite similar to that on Pawnstars.... it was used for fishing bullets out of intestines circa the Civil War. It makes me cringe to even think about that being used.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 20, 2015, 10:21 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
        Greenlee screw machine
        Close enough Acme Gridley RB6 1-5/8 (picture)

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

this is a medieval tooth pick and ear was scoop.....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

This video shows the Geneva turn over mechanism working...
            Acmes helped build the world...

Comment

Found this in my basement. It was laying way back up on the foundation near the sill beam with some big wooden barrel bungs and plugs. This house is old, like 1890's old.

The blade was probably razor sharp when new (still pretty darn sharp!) and very pointy. Blade is riveted on, so probably not quickly replaceable, but probably not a throw-away tool either.

And for the record, I have no idea what it is either. Been asking the real old dudes at work, stumped them already.

Last edited by STINEY; March 9, 2015, 08:12 AM.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'd guess it's a can opener. Interesting piece.

Dan

Comment

That replaceable blade is way too brittle for a can opener - think utility knife blade, its perhaps stronger but not by much.
                  It is semi-replaceable in the sense that one could knock the rivets out and rivet a new one on.

I'm guessing leather working tool? Or maybe a skinning knife?

Comment

my vote is for can opener as well there was on in the drawer when I was a kid that was thin blade then some thing to pivot on. I think you are giving the can to much credit for being tuff and the old guy not enough (Dan's not old he is just chronologically challenged )

once you punch the hole they cut pretty easy. Seen it done with a pocket knife
                    Last edited by Russell; March 9, 2015, 10:45 AM.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Could be, could be................but once you cut a slice into the can, perpendicular to the edge - what do you do then? Drain the contents through the slice? Make dozens more slices?

Not being a smartass here, just curious. I don't see any way to use this as a can opener in daily purposes. Maybe if I was starving, it would beat using a rock to get the goodies, but surely not on a regular basis?

Comment

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Well I'll be........never though the can came first with instrustions to "use a hammer and chisel" to open. This was a refinement on that process? Haggle the can open somehow?

Wow. History is neat, eh?

My apologies to Dan & Russell, and thanks to Ron!
                          Last edited by STINEY; March 9, 2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Don't apologize - send money.

Hey, I'm building a race truck and need all the help I can get!

Dan

Comment

How about a 100 year old antique can opener? Surely worth something?

Comment

Ok, what's this? Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1014419
                                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                                X