Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magazine cars, a few questions and opinions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine cars, a few questions and opinions.....

Do most of these guys have HUGE money in these cars? I mean honestly. Ive probably realistically got 13-15K in my Nova including the price of the car and all the little stupid nickle and dime crap. Now as far as looks go, its definately not at the top of the class. But its fun, loud and fast. {I just realized thats a pretty cool lyric....} I see these guys claim some seriously low numbers for their projects and most of them seem to have the finest of everything. I dont get it, are they lieing? Now most guys dont have 40K to toss into their ride. So why hold yourself to that standard? I dont have 8K to toss at a sweet paint job, id rather spend it on a procharger!!!! Would you as an enthusiast rather see backyard real hotrodding with paint chips and some dirt under the hood, or fluff and shine magazine stuff? I mean i dont want to see complete junk but if it looks like crap and performs very on a budget, well id rather see that than a looks like a million and had as much spent on it. Are you a top dollar guy or a low buck buildup guy. What say you?? Discuss....

Re: Magazine cars, a few questions and opinions.....

Don't care as long as it is COOL !!!
    ;D

Comment

Man you knew this one had to come up sooner or later... so here's my take...

No matter how MUCH money you have...someone still has to wrench on a car... don't matter if your Troy Treipanier ( SP sorry Troy )... or Alan Johnson... or Joe Smoo down the road under a shade tree.... they are all just men... with two hands and a brain...

40k wouldn't touch a car purpose built to be in Magazines... The G-force Cuda for example... 40k wouldn't get you the suspension mod's... or the top end of the motor... Paint... LOL yaaaa maybe paint for 40k but it would be Close...

Point being this.... it always comes back to a set of hands screwing stuff together... If you don't have the money to pay the best hands in the world to screw your stuff together... then I guess it's up to you....

Sooo most Professional Hands will tell you that you can in fact do the work they are doing if your willing to spend the time to first learn the skills... then to practice them enough to gain some experience... then Simply spending the time to do the same quality of work.... or as is often the case.... 10 times the amount of hours to get the same result... but it's all acheiveable... it simply comes down to desire...

Same thing with the Money.... how bad do you want it? it's all about effort and brains...

Keith

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of cars in the magazines that don't have big bucks in them (I consider that to be anything over about 20-30k), that were built by the owners, probably with help from friends.

And I agree with what Keith seems to be hinting at, which is that even if it's a "checkbook car", the folks who took the checks and did the work are definitely worthy of having their skills recognized...and the guy who paid for it should be recognized for having the vision, ambition, and ability to know what he wanted and to get it done.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

NO NO NO...im not taking shots at anyones charactor. Hell if i had a ton of $$$ laying around my ride would be pretty damn sweet and there would be some pretty trick parts.....thats not the point of the question. Im just simply asking if most magazine cars have huge money in them, and what do you like big money cars or small money cars

Comment

Show cars are nice to look at, But i'd rather look at DD cars, or at least those Driven on the weekends in good weather. Its more fun to talk with ownerbuilders, racers and just plain enthusiasts. You can learn from anyone, but the Main thing is that everyone has Fun, A set of nice sounding RAT Rod, will get my attention as Quick as any other form of car. You do the best you can with what you got, and Enjoy.

Comment

I love em all but I gotta say I like the ones that are more average joe builds.

Comment

i like the backyard daily drivers my self. ive got about 8k invested in my 85 bronco or so. it looks kinda like crap but rides n drive like a dream. i like to use what i build. 8)

Comment

I vastly prefer the stuff a guy has done himself, regardless of budget...though I have extra apprecation for "cool for cheap," or better yet, "fast for cheap."

That said, I remain astounded with the huge volume of people who seem able to drain almost endless funds into a car. Rod shops nationwide are loaded with cars well over $100k, and there are plenty that spend up to $500k. What amazes me even more is how many of those huge-dollar cars are incredibly tasteless, boring, or undriveable.

During my days in the magazine world, and here at Car Junkie, stuff is judged way more on taste, excitement, and performance than on budget.

Comment

And THAT is why I'm here, I feel the same way.

I don't hate high end cars, or their owners. But I pay much less attention to them.
                    Their just like exotics to me, all flash, four times the cash.

Sure, an F430 would be fun, but you can do the same ot better, with much less cash.

Comment

My point was, I dig "real" cars .... and I don't think they have to look like a POS because you don't have Money...

I'm not a fan of Poor quality cars for the sake of poor quality... You can read that to mean I don't like Rat Rods... and I'd be okay with that... I like unfinished Hot Rods just fine... but they don't have crappy workmanship for the sake of crappy workmanship...

If you simply don't have the skills to do better.... at least look like your trying... if you can't afford to wash it... ... you get the point...

Keith ( Chad and I are going to butt heads on this one ... LOL )

Comment

Whose butt and whose head?

Comment

I agree with Keith....I stripped a handmedown 73 Bug to bare metal when I was 14....resprayed with rental stuff in lacquer because it was the up to date sh** in Hot Rod at the time (mid 80s)
                          I didn't want the results I had in mind bad enough to do the polish etc....
                          THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE LEAST EXPENSIVE PHASE!
                          10 times the effort is worth it if you get just twice the savings.

Comment

Just tell him if he needs that 56 washed hand me a rag next time I'm in town...

K

Comment

Originally posted by 73Nova
                              ... Hell if i had a ton of $$$ laying around ...
                              I think that if I had a 'ton of $$$$' laying around, I would only have more project cars, not better looking cars :-\ :D
                              Building them up would go a little faster then now I guess, so more would be drivable.
                              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X