Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magazine cars, a few questions and opinions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magazine cars, a few questions and opinions.....

Originally posted by 73Nova
    Im just simply asking if most magazine cars have huge money in them,
    I understand your question BUT i't hard to say what do you mean by "most". I would say "most" magazines now are trying to get a balance of different ends of the spectrum to feature. Rod & Custom did a full feature on my car, Big Olds, and in that same issue was full features on the other 5 Ego-Rama participants. The most expensive build was probably my Dad's '56 and the least expensive build was for sure mine (I won the budget build portion of the "contest) BUT for the average person reading the magazine you really can't tell much of a difference in the two. (and the difference is into six figures) My car had alot of donated parts and labor, both from before I purchased the project and afterwards, so my car really looks more expensive then it really is....or was I should say cuz I just got a new interior which I think puts me over that "budget build" catagory. ;D

I really enjoy looking at them all (except the dreaded "rat rods"). Whether it be a high dollar build or a low budget one, I can alwasy fine something interesting on each one to learn from or appreciate.

In a nutshell, photos in magazines really make the cars look much better then they are in person. I was sweating a bunch of details on my car during the photo shoot and the photographer said not to worry about them, they won't show or if they do he'll take care of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
      Whose butt and whose head?
      Now damnit that's funny.......... ;D

On the original thought here on the thread.....I know what you're asking.
      Sort of like BJ's.......you spend big bucks, you get on SpeedVision.
      Cars in the mags were somewhat of an inspiration (remember when you were a kid and you saw Better Homes & Gardens magazine......and you knew you'd never live in one of those homes)......two winters ago I did my dream build.......I was 57...and had never done anything like this in my life (other than transplant a couple of 348's back in the day)
      I had acquired a real nice bb 427 with some real good internals.......I had one of the best engine builders in the area do it up for me. During the build I opted for the TKO 600.
      The project was done by myself and a good friend.....again much like it was back in the 60's when we all helped each other.
      I think the final project turned out great......it gets driven to all the events I attend.
      I think it stacks up against anything I've seen in print (except it doesn't have 18" wheels).
      Lastly, we all aspire to having our cars seen in print and we get the impression that it has to be a $100 thousand dollar ride to get there.

Comment

People will spend huge amounts of cash for the express purpose to get their car a trophy and/or magazine coverage. Either one has big benefits for the builder. None really for the owner except maybe a trophy and bragging rights. I'm sure the resale value of the car goes up too. I don't know of any car that won the Riddler award in the last 15 years cost less than a quarter million to build. The America's Most Beautiful Roadster trophy at GNRS is just as coveted. I fully expect to see Troy's (from Hollywood Hot Rods) entered for that trophy this year. Guess what getting that trophy would do for Troy's business? About the same as his coverage in mags and the TV show Rides did for him.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

i guess its all in what you like and your budget. i seen ina car audio mag once a golf cart with a 10,000 watt 6.1 thx sourround sound system---a golf cart!!! now it looked really great, but ---a golf cart ???
          if i rember it cost arount $30,000 for the whole thing, 20" rims and all

ps--- a golf cart ;D ;D

Comment

Like others, I am just stunned at the amount of cash that some folks seem to be able and willing to pour into a car. The only problem I have is when Mr. bucks up starts in nitpicking on other cars in the show, lot, or book.

While I don't really care for the scruffiest rat rods I can sure appreciate the "sick of it" sentiment that spawned the movement. And I actually like the semi-finished, work in progress, or raced hard look. Even when faked it "feels" authentic - an homage to hot rodding's roots as it were. But I also draw my personal taste line at the rust for rust's sake, intentional gumball welds, trashpile stuff. The original hot rods were in a constant state of getting "fixed up" - rough appearance and primer was just a point in the progress. No one wanted their car to look like or be a pile - it just happened....

Having a big checkbook that allows you to pay for the very best does not disqualiy you from being a hot rodder - but it does not guarantee you membership into the group either. You can't buy "cool"....

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_R
              No one wanted their car to look like or be a pile - it just happened....
              Trusty Rusty??
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

RIDLER.....as in Don Ridler...one D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  Originally posted by Barry_R
                  No one wanted their car to look like or be a pile - it just happened....
                  Trusty Rusty??
                  Is my kinda car........... ;D

Comment

The core of the car hobby is made up of "average Joe's", guys with a modest income that build their cars more from the heart and less from the wallet. I am sure we all wish we had the disposable income to build one of those big dollar restorations but let's be honest, not everyone can. I may be wrong but I think the mags are starting to turn to the grass roots of the hobby and more of the cars pictured are "real" cars not the high dollar trailer queens. My favorite features in magazines are the restoration features that have documented and pictured the process. Not only is it an inspiration, it also shows what can be accomplished with a little drive. One of my cars has been in a few mags (small feature in one and lambasted in a few others) and it's not a big dollar car, it's a driver at best. I know many other cars that are driven more than mine that are in better condition but still haven't made it into a mag. So, I have to say no, they are not all big $ builds……

Comment

<------and average joe at best and proud of it. Maybe the mags have figured out the the vast majority of their subscribers are average joes.

Comment

A man can't live on bread alone...

I love the bucks up stuff because it appeals to the artsy side of things. Those cars especially the select few that compete for the AMBR and other high flautin' awards are sculpture.

That being said, the Robert Williams low brow guy that I am, I loves me some busted knuckle, home built, raw, emperical engineering. Some of you may remember a pair of features in HRM a few months back. One was a twin turbo Pontiac Firebird with a 455, the other was a Fox Mustang with a twin turbo 302. At the photo shoot I got to take a spin with each of the guys, and the cars were just as cool as I had envisioned when talking to the owners about them before I wrote the stories.

The Pontiac was a car built by a guy who literally thought out every detail, and anything that could be firgured out with the proper math calculations and measurements was done. NOTHING was left to chance and what he was left with was an amazing car. A 3800lb, 9 second street car.

The Mustang was built by a college kid with an engineering degree and an hot rodders instincts. It had a Mercury Mountaineer motor with 150,000 miles on it, two John Deere turbos and served as the perfect match with the Pontiac, both ends of the spectrum. Quick and dirty Vs. long and meticulous. They both worked...they both rocked and they were both genuine street sweepers that I'd love to own.

Like someone said...everything in moderation and it certainly seems the hobby and the media that surrounds it has gotten the message.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brain... I enjoyed the article quite a bit... Very nice job...

K

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                            Whose butt and whose head?

Should we rename these guys?

Comment

My opinion is that I like the regular-joe single carb small block street rats.But I guess they don't sell magazines like the high dollar cars.Not trying to slam anybody,but half the feature cars in Car Craft nowadays are WAY bucks up.Blown Hemi Road Runners and the like are wicked.But a lot of the magazine cars are so over the top that I don't even DREAM that big.I know that most of the "true musclecars" are top dollar in "raw material " state.I like headers,mags (15's not 20's GANGSTA!!) and lumpy cams.If the car LOOKS like it gets driven I read the article.If it looks like a car I can RELATE to,I read the article.But I'm not the only hot-rodder.There's another guy who reads the articles I don't because it's THEIR style. Some folks don't like flat black and straight axles (I really don't understand how you couldn't,but hey)How's it go?You can please some of the people some of the time?

Comment

Working...
                              X