No announcement yet.

Plymouth Duster Big-Block Swap - Roadkill Ep. 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good though, better to take your time than have it scatter on the dyno

Comment

• Well, the 383 is almost done. Degreed cam to 102 ICA, swapped springs and hardware on heads, mocked up valvetrain, buttoned up front and installed damper, heads installed. Just a few things left to finish it up. It will have to wait for after Engine Masters, though.

Comment

• Freiburger mentioned this is the 383 that was in his Super Bee when he bought it in 1983. Amazing he hung onto it all this time. I was wondering if it was the original engine to his Super Bee.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Hi Scott. It is not.the Superbee's factory "numbers" engine.

Comment

• Any updates on how things went on Drag Weekend? Sounds like you made it and it was a thrash fest, but there wasn't much coverage of that event and I hear this wasn't a "RoadKill" episode... Although, I think its pretty cool that Freiburger finally got to participate in one of these events! Or was he working it too?

Comment

• They survived the Drag Weekend ordeal...they got to thrash on the car the whole time...they didn't officially finish the event, something about the rear leaf springs being wasted and having to put their gear in another car to get from track to track, to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders. best time was in the low 12s with the 3.83. seemed to be running out of fuel or something at the top end. They had alternator problems, including some melted wires, and finally replaced the alternator, which had an intermittent internal short.
              Last edited by squirrel; November 9, 2015, 07:49 AM.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• coverage here:

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Best was 12.06, but I think it can be a solid 11 sec combo with some more work. Would have been a Sunday drive if it wasn't for the bad alternator. Drove back from Tucson with the 4.10s.

383 shifted at 7000, did not burn or leak any oil. Fuel system will need upgrading, and the burnt and field repaired wiring will need to be fixed. Fun time, overall, though would have liked an 11 second timeslip. Got to hang out with Jim Forbes at the track too. Would have liked to have met other Bangshifters there.

Comment

• racing is fun, but I'm not sure the commute would be something I'd look forward to. Several decades ago, a friend asked me to pick up his 66 Chevelle with 4.56 gears, a high compression BBC, manual transmission for a 4500 rpm stall, and flowmaster race mufflers that dumped under the stripped interior's floor. 200 miles took 8 hours, 110 degree weather.... truly it is what I think of when someone says "go to hell"

it was a neat car, but by the end of that commute I wanted to burn it down.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• A drive like that separates the men from the boys? or girls?

Yeah, it was a fun long weekend!
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• I love that you were winging that 383 to 7000 rpm. I bet it was beautiful music as it screamed.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• My 427 has gone that high...although not really on purpose. The 383 has a short stroke, only 3.375".
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            racing is fun, but I'm not sure the commute would be something I'd look forward to. Several decades ago, a friend asked me to pick up his 66 Chevelle with 4.56 gears, a high compression BBC, manual transmission for a 4500 rpm stall, and flowmaster race mufflers that dumped under the stripped interior's floor. 200 miles took 8 hours, 110 degree weather.... truly it is what I think of when someone says "go to hell"

it was a neat car, but by the end of that commute I wanted to burn it down.
                            There is no glory without the suffering. The drive was the best part for me; maybe because DF did all the drag runs. I forgot to bring long pants

Comment

• 1) there was no racing, just 200 miles of freeway driving with countless stops for breaking, overheating, and fuel.
                              2) it wasn't my car, and I'm not the type to see if I can break a friend's car

but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 9, 2015, 10:40 PM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• No offense intended, SBG.

Comment

Working...
                                X